To Task Kill or not to Task KillSupport

Last Updated:

1. akenis

akenis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting mixed advice here. Some folks swear by the advantage of using task killer. Then someone chimes in with...the OS doesn't need it. It's best to just let it be.

So what's the real scoop? What kind of memory are you guys seeing without using task kill? What memory level is too low?

If I don't kill anything I typically see about 20M free. If I kill all it goes to about 70M free.

Advertisement
  2. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

I don't use one and haven't noticed any degradation in performance. That's both battery and the OS.

3. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

Quite honestly I don't see how we would know much of a difference on this version of the OS. Things are acting wonky no matter what.

I have it and use it to kill things I don't use often just in case, but don't notice any real change to performance. It might help the battery though, and I've had this app since day 1 and typically get 30+ hours per charge, so I'm not about to change my routine. Superstition and all that.

4. Weeton

Weeton Active Member

i certainly notice it. i used atk and sometimes there are lingering files left open that take up the memory. i often find myself down to 21-27mb of processing left; use atk, goes back up to 51mb. 30mb extra memory for processing...hrm...

5. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

After having to micro manage memory with Windows Mobile devices, especially the Mogul, I'm going to avoid it with this phone. I have to concer with dkjones96, I don't notice appreciable performance or battery changes regardless of what's running in the background. If I left a browser or rss reader running in the background on the Touch Pro, my battery would be dead in 2-3 hours. I had both Dolphin and BeyondPod running all day today and my battery life was no different than any other day this week.

6. mazzmoney

mazzmoney New Member

i did see my moment run a little faster without task killer, but i did notice that my phone died very fast! if u last the entire day without a task killer then dont use it. i think that when we get 2.1 it might handle background tasks better where we wont need task killers.

7. itmike

itmike Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell a difference personally.

8. AndroidStephen

AndroidStephen Well-Known Member

I think battery life/ performance is affected much more by the Home replacement app/ number of widgets/ etc.. you have running on your phone than anything a task killer would take care of. I've ran with one and without one and haven't seen any real difference. It's kinda fun to go in and kill tasks just for the heck of it.. but if I would just leave the screen off and quit checking the task killer every 10 min then that would probably make the phone last longer anyways.. lol. I think the phone kills what it needs to.. when it needs to. And.. the task killer is just another app running, using the processor and memory itself.. so, I'm running without one.