• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To Task Kill...Or Not?

ali79shine

Aug 17, 2010
Please someone tell me how to use my phone, Please!

I hear all the time....Use a task Killer.....NO NO don't use it this isn't a Windows Phone.

So someone help me please, My battery life SUCKS! :mad:

I use my phone all day long. Here's a run down:

Plug in at night from 10PM until 6:30AM

7am-Call a few people, send a few texts
8am-Work, plug in to my laptop at work, run Pandora for most of the day while plugged in. Text all day, receive a few incoming calls, play a couple games, surf the web, TASK KILL through out the day. The phone does not stay plugged in all day long, its off and on most of the day.

5pm-Off work with a full battery, Call people, text ALOT, MMS alot, Facebook ALOT, task kill

7pm-RED BAR must plug in.

I monitored it the other day.....plugged in all night, went to an all day meeting. Sent a couple texts, surf web a couple times, checked facebook, received a few calls and my 6pm it was DEAD!

This phone sucks if I have to worry about pluggin it in all the time. My friend next to me had the IPhone doing the same amount of things during the meeting and she had practically a full bar at the end of the day. :eek:

What am I doing wrong, or is this just a sucky phone for battery life?

you use your phone ALOT
sms constantly with a big screen sending mms alot which is using data and keeping the phone awake and viewing keep the screen on constantly in between making calls which is also a battery drain will inevitebly drain the battery rapidly which makes me think you didnt have a smart phone before.

what phone did you have before because if it was a touch screen with a screen this big and bright then id be shocked

also

DO NOT use task killers, they cause battery drainage although i think yours is to do with how you use the device
(1ghz constant while in use)

Upvote 0
I had a Blackberry Curve, which held the battery life for almost 2 days with the same amount of text and talk.
this makes complete sense
battery life on a blackberry is far superior to any smartphone on the market. my company one will last me just under 5 days on a single charge.
this shows you how much of a user you are as to drain a blackberry in 2 days is pretty difficult

And my Desire gets HOT to the touch on the bottom, back side?
this is because the cpu is at the bottom of of the phone, it gets hot as the cpu is running at 1ghz solidly when in use (default that cannot be changed without root and a custom rom)
basically large screen smartphones are not for you.
the only moden phone that will suit your usage is a blackberry

i get just under 2days on my desire with medium use, i dont hammer the txt and calls

im guessing you have alot of female friends or are female yourself :p

EDIT regarding Danfrance below.
My bold2 lasts me about 3 days with medium use and phone calls getting work email pretty often

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
HER IS WHAT I DID
-uninstalled taskkillers
-Calibrate your battery= 10hrs charge on, 1 hr charge off, reboot 1 hr charge off, then use it.
-Disable background data.
-Disable GPS and WIFI when not needed.
-reduce disply time out to 15 sec.
-freez all the un nessessary widget by Titanium-pro in temp rooted status using Visionary app.
-generaly your battery life will improve over time when you stop playing and exploring it.

Upvote 0
If you root, you can use an undervolted kernel.

I get superb battery life. I leave in the morning at around 8am. I use my phone a fair bit; web browsing, checking email, texting, listen to music for ~1 hour, etc. I leave wifi and 3g on all the time. I get home at around 4-5pm depending on the day with over 60% battery left.

Dimming your screen can help greatly. I normally stick with 0%, because it's never sunny in this country. Don't use a live wallpaper and don't use a task killer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones