• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To the N1 Elite owners: Just how good is it?

Rather than dish out specifications, general Google.com domain page information and all round generic info regarding this device, just how much faster and fresher does this phone feel to the HTC Hero? Or, more importantly, does the lack of a physical keyboard make you wish you went 'Droid'.

As a non member of the N1 club myself, but running Android 2.1 on my HTC Hero (its started getting really warm lately, I may have to scrap 2.1), I know that the new UI is fresher, faster and more pleasing - but does it feel worth the money overall?

I'd love for your comments guys, as i'd love to buy this piece of kit.

The main question is 'Is the price you paid for the Nexus One a worthy investment, baring in mind the HTC Hero will be getting an official 2.1 update along with the Droid?'

Thank you in advance :).

Umm, its on T-Mobile. The same carrier that people have to walk outside my house to even get text messages let alone phone calls on. I live right by Disneyland too, not like I in the boonies. My Sprint reception is good as gold in my house. When they DO have signal, its decent at best. I dont care if this phone was the best invention ever, having it on a POS carrier like T-mobile defeats the purpose.

Upvote 0
Umm, its on T-Mobile. The same carrier that people have to walk outside my house to even get text messages let alone phone calls on. I live right by Disneyland too, not like I in the boonies. My Sprint reception is good as gold in my house. When they DO have signal, its decent at best. I dont care if this phone was the best invention ever, having it on a POS carrier like T-mobile defeats the purpose.

So in your view its not worth then money due to being on T-Mobile, okay. I am based in the UK and T-Mobile is great over here though :/ < mind, no easy way to get a N1 yet.

Upvote 0
I'm using a Nexus One in the UK (they shipped it over in 2 days!) and it's great. Coming from a G1 it's shedloads faster and the screen is just gorgeous.

I thought I might miss the G1's keyboard but it's actually fine.

I'm on T-mobile UK and I've got no signal problems - 3G reception is just the same as I had on my G1.

Upvote 0
I'm using a Nexus One in the UK (they shipped it over in 2 days!) and it's great. Coming from a G1 it's shedloads faster and the screen is just gorgeous.

I thought I might miss the G1's keyboard but it's actually fine.

I'm on T-mobile UK and I've got no signal problems - 3G reception is just the same as I had on my G1.

Ah a fellow UK'er! Well T-Mobile in the UK is fine. Congratulations on your mobile phone, having tested one for 2 days I loved it < however I didn't find it a vast improvement from my HTC Hero on 2.1 :/.

You'll love it more and more as the days go by ;)

Upvote 0
My t-mobile is Great in the US. I have not lost 3G signal since having my Lauch day N1 and actually goes from UMTS into HSDPA when surfing web...but back to the OP...Ive recently owned the G1, HTC HD, TP2 and SE X1 and currently using the N1. Its normal for me to have mutiple phones. From my experience the speed of the phone alone makes it a buy over the phones Ive had before. Also, no lie I really loved having a physical keyboard. On my X1 and TP2 those keyboards made typing a breeze and I really loved physical keyboard feature. HOWEVER, Its not that its bad on the N1 its just if you are use to a keyboard then you will have an adjustment period and eventually like anything else with repetition, it will become less cumbersome. For a keyboardless phone its probably the best out there outside of the iphone. Since you have the Hero then you should be fine with the N1 typing.

But like I said its the speed of this phone what makes it sooooo good to me. Screen Resi is beautiful. There's not really too much for me to complain about the device. Its a solid device and it was a good price. I havent experienced any 3G issues, touchscreen issues, or anything. My N1 works fine and at the moment Im satisfied. Now Im just waiting on getting my hands on the X10 and see how it is. Im a phone whore...I know its sickening!!

Upvote 0
Ah a fellow UK'er! Well T-Mobile in the UK is fine, only in America is it crappy :/

ummm I hate to break it to you, but T-Mo isn't "crappy" in the U.S. at least not for me... all depends on what area you're in, and it's only getting better... T-Mo is on a roll over here... 7.2Mbps network pushed out (problem is the backhaul in many areas), great devices finally, MUCH more reliable than AT&T - I know, this doesn't say much, but from personal experience on both, T-Mo is stellar... with T-Mo's new pricing, I think that kick-started them getting their act together here in the U.S. - let's hope it keeps going...

Upvote 0
While you might be fairly happy with the Hero running 2.1 right now, keep in mind that as this version of the OS proliferates (read: the Droid gets it) you might notice much more significant differences between what the Nexus One can do versus your Hero. That being said, if you don't need to get a phone now you could always wait a few months and get the next best thing to come along.

I myself cannot go back to a screen with less resolution now. After using the Droid and now the N1, even the iPhone's screen (a phone which I love, just grown tired of) feels so dated. To me that would probably be enough to push me towards the Nexus One.

Upvote 0
While you might be fairly happy with the Hero running 2.1 right now, keep in mind that as this version of the OS proliferates (read: the Droid gets it) you might notice much more significant differences between what the Nexus One can do versus your Hero. That being said, if you don't need to get a phone now you could always wait a few months and get the next best thing to come along.

I myself cannot go back to a screen with less resolution now. After using the Droid and now the N1, even the iPhone's screen (a phone which I love, just grown tired of) feels so dated. To me that would probably be enough to push me towards the Nexus One.

I am with you, i was a dedicated iPhone user since day 1. the first day i got my N1 i hated it because it was not the iPhone, and listed it on ebay. I played with it the next day just to show a co worker what it was like and ended up pulling my N1 auction from ebay and listing my iPhone. i absolutly love it. i use att and we have no 3g here in the boonies of ohio anyways so i can not complain about 3g. The simple fact that the phone is SO customizable and does amlost everything the iphone does, except copy and paste, is great. i would not switch back unless the next iphone makes a huge leap in technology. i was an apple fanboy but have converted to android in less than a week.

Upvote 0
it's all a matter of getting used to something new... i had a brief moment of "it's not like my iphone 3GS"... but at that point, my 3GS was already sold and gone... But after even a couple of hours and certainly a couple of days, I grew to really like my Nexus... now a week and a half later... I'm lovin it even more!!

There hasn't even been a single software update yet... those getting rid of it prematurely really aren't giving it a change... it's like when the 2G iphone came out in '07 for anyone that remembers... the iphone's success didn't happen overnight... far from it...

Upvote 0
I am with you, i was a dedicated iPhone user since day 1. the first day i got my N1 i hated it because it was not the iPhone, and listed it on ebay. I played with it the next day just to show a co worker what it was like and ended up pulling my N1 auction from ebay and listing my iPhone. i absolutly love it. i use att and we have no 3g here in the boonies of ohio anyways so i can not complain about 3g. The simple fact that the phone is SO customizable and does amlost everything the iphone does, except copy and paste, is great. i would not switch back unless the next iphone makes a huge leap in technology. i was an apple fanboy but have converted to android in less than a week.

Ditto. Sold my 3G and 2G iPhones and made up for all but $20 of my N1. You'll get this phone when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Upvote 0
I agree with the last three of you- it's certainly been a great phone, but it took me more than a day or so to feel that way. That's more about Android than anything else. Anyone that has already bought into the Android OS should love this phone, with the exception of the 37 people globally that actually do love the G1's keyboard (or worse- the Droid's). Coming from a phone without a physical keyboard and happy without it, I think the phone is a wonderful piece of hardware.

Upvote 0
ummm I hate to break it to you, but T-Mo isn't "crappy" in the U.S. at least not for me... all depends on what area you're in, and it's only getting better... T-Mo is on a roll over here... 7.2Mbps network pushed out (problem is the backhaul in many areas), great devices finally, MUCH more reliable than AT&T - I know, this doesn't say much, but from personal experience on both, T-Mo is stellar... with T-Mo's new pricing, I think that kick-started them getting their act together here in the U.S. - let's hope it keeps going...

You didn't break anything to me mate, because I am sure that the cases are 50 / 50 in terms of positive response and negative response < from annual reports from T-Mobile and service review websites I have seen my fair share, and although not an American myself, and having not experienced T-Mobile over there, I am certain that your case is a good one.

Congratulations, it is just T-Mobile over in the UK is possibly the best network, with the best coverage and best deals. And so the UK coverage over here makes your T-Mobile look a little bit worse for wear, my comment you 'quoted' referred to an assumptive conclusion based on research, I apologize if your case is different :) - no harm intended.

Update: I have edited my post you quoted :)

Upvote 0

No gripes with that, you are completely right. And do not for one second think I would ever pit my Hero against a Nexus as it would lose hands down, in fact, it would get pummeled.

And I know what you mean, about the screen resolution, the worst example of a screen that powers Android I have seen (and own, naturally, because I find it quirky) is the Motorola DEXT (Cliq).

Enjoy your new phone :) And thank you for the comment.

Upvote 0
The phone works great on T-Mobile for me in Baton Rouge/New Orleans area in Louisiana. I feel bad for all the people with bad T-Mobile experiences because their customer service and prices are spectacular. I get full bars inside and out, am able to stream Pandora through my car speakers while using google navigation while speech texting or taking phone calls all without any slowdowns whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Having moved from a Hero, I prefer the look and feel of the Nexus plus the larger screen makes typing a little easier....let alone, the much better resolution, colours, etc.

On wifi, the browser is lightning fast (via Dolphin).....only issue I had had (more a concern) is the phones ability to connect to HSPDA networks, as the Hero seems to have locked down faster signals at times in the same location (using wife's Hero, both on Vodafone network).

Is a really nice phone though & no regrets....

Upvote 0
This phone is rediculously fast. I benchmarked against a friends droid this weekend, and the only place he beat me was in raw bandwidth(VZW vs tmobile), the phone actually loaded webpages like engadget.com faster. It killed the droid in all other benchmarks and general speed of use.

Shhh, don't say this too loud- someone might hear you and get upset.

All jokes aside it is fast. If I was still on Verizon and had a Droid I wouldn't get upset though, as that is still a great phone. I just find the form factor of this to be more to my liking.

Upvote 0
I have had a lot of issues with mine, although my issues seem to be a fluke and be limited. I can say with all sincerity, it is the fastest, best phone I have ever owned previously having an iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Palm Pre, Several Blackberries and Win mo devices, a G1 and a MyTouch.

Worth the money and then some.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile is great in South Florida. I get similar 3G coverage with my Nexus One on T-Mobile that I had with my iPhone 3GS on AT&T. The only complaint I have is that I really, really love the look of Sense UI, lol. I just can't get over not having it. Aside from that this phone rocks my socks.

Agreed, Sense UI is strikingly good to look at and use :) - Hopefully when there is an official update for my Hero - to 2.1 (did it myself) they'll adapt HTC Sense into it.

Upvote 0
I've just sold my Hero after deciding to go to the N1.

I'm a UK user on O2 which I find generally has a strong network (Unlike T-Mobile here too).

My thoughts on the N1 over the Hero:

Screen - beautiful colours, excellent brightness and good in the dark with low light (see the low level night clock).

Screen Size - much better for texting, my main gripe with the Hero.

Android 2.1 - much more useful than Vanilla 1.5. I would go so far as saying that I have not missed Sense on the Hero with 1.5 as 2.1 now incorporates a lot of these features. Another benefit should be quicker upgrade distribution for none-rooted phones.

Build Quality - in my opinion slightly more solid feeling than the Hero. If dropped even from a small height the Hero would explode into main body, battery cover and batter all over the floor.

Camera - Way, way better than the Hero. I don't use it often but when I'm supporting the Toon I like to take the odd picture from the stands, and these come out much better than the Hero. The Hero in my opinion took worse pictures than the 2MP iPhone my friend has. The N1 is better.

Other features - Speed generally is much improved, I find that I no longer feel the need to kill apps as often.

The light sensor works better for switching the screen off for calls and back on when you need the keyboard or end call than for any other HTC device I've used before.

Browser, feels quicker although I've never had the 2 phones together to compare. And again the screen size is a benefit here.

Errors. I feel certain that I get less errors and force closures on the Nexus. I always felt that there was some things that never worked quite right with Sense (although much of an improvement against the original on the Touch Diamond which used to lose features and sounds etc) - I guess the N1 just feels more stable. The only error I've had is if I forget to set the palettes for Polar Clock.

So to finish I would recommend selling the Hero now (I got

Upvote 0
I've just sold my Hero after deciding to go to the N1.

I'm a UK user on O2 which I find generally has a strong network (Unlike T-Mobile here too).

My thoughts on the N1 over the Hero:

Screen - beautiful colours, excellent brightness and good in the dark with low light (see the low level night clock).

Screen Size - much better for texting, my main gripe with the Hero.

Android 2.1 - much more useful than Vanilla 1.5. I would go so far as saying that I have not missed Sense on the Hero with 1.5 as 2.1 now incorporates a lot of these features. Another benefit should be quicker upgrade distribution for none-rooted phones.

Build Quality - in my opinion slightly more solid feeling than the Hero. If dropped even from a small height the Hero would explode into main body, battery cover and batter all over the floor.

Camera - Way, way better than the Hero. I don't use it often but when I'm supporting the Toon I like to take the odd picture from the stands, and these come out much better than the Hero. The Hero in my opinion took worse pictures than the 2MP iPhone my friend has. The N1 is better.

Other features - Speed generally is much improved, I find that I no longer feel the need to kill apps as often.

The light sensor works better for switching the screen off for calls and back on when you need the keyboard or end call than for any other HTC device I've used before.

Browser, feels quicker although I've never had the 2 phones together to compare. And again the screen size is a benefit here.

Errors. I feel certain that I get less errors and force closures on the Nexus. I always felt that there was some things that never worked quite right with Sense (although much of an improvement against the original on the Touch Diamond which used to lose features and sounds etc) - I guess the N1 just feels more stable. The only error I've had is if I forget to set the palettes for Polar Clock.

So to finish I would recommend selling the Hero now (I got

Upvote 0
Shhh, don't say this too loud- someone might hear you and get upset.

All jokes aside it is fast. If I was still on Verizon and had a Droid I wouldn't get upset though, as that is still a great phone. I just find the form factor of this to be more to my liking.

Agreed, I would take a Droid no problem, I loved my friends phone when it first came out, and I still dig its more "industrial" design. I wouldn't be too upset if I had to swap. Benchmarks are just benchmarks, bottom line is both phones are awesome. And yes, my phone loaded pages faster over 3g, but we are talking a matter of seconds. Though still N1 is still the overall best android handset on the market, as long as you don't mind not having a physical keyboard, then droid is the best.

Personally I thought I could never get over not having a physical ala the G1, but I really don't miss it. It's not as good as my iphone, but it's still pretty darn good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones