To those that paid 15$ for 16gb card's on EbayGeneral

Last Updated:

1. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Have you gotten the cards yet and how have they worked out for you.

I'm leery of paying such a cheap amount for a large capacity card.

But if any of you had any luck with them, please post.

Advertisement
  2. justbrae1

justbrae1 Well-Known Member

Most of you don't realize how much markup there is on memory cards. Anyone who has worked retail in the last 5 years can tell you there is an extreme markup.

3. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Well-Known Member

Meh, I'd be hesitant to buy memory cards from eBay if they're from China. They're either fakes or binned cards from the factory that didn't pass QC.

4. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

I agree when i worked at walmart we would pay what we charge for one acc for like a 4 pack.

But i would maybee just buy one and take the risk. 16 bucks is a good price.

5. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

While there is extreme markup on digital storage, there are also lots of scammers and low quality items on ebay :p. I'm interested in hearing these results.

6. dgourd

dgourd Well-Known Member

This is extremely true with any product. If you know how to shop, you can get 75% off on any product you buy. Most large stores are willing to do this too because they are more concerned with emptying their inventory. I also love companies that employ a commissions system, so employees will do anything just to get your business.

7. dgourd

dgourd Well-Known Member

+1. I dont trust anything on ebay that comes from China for this reason. Also keep in mind there is a risk of buying defective memory cars even from trusted retailers. I prefer buying it from a retailer because I can always exchange it for one the works if it does come up bad.

8. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

Watch out for refurbished stuff.

9. kmoore11

kmoore11 Well-Known Member

Iwon't be buying any memory cards on ebay again. About 2 years ago I bought a '4 GB' memory stick that ended up being less than 1 GB. I didn't realize it until after i could report it. There are SO MANY fakes and scams on ebay. Just a warning

10. greenrolaids

so far the lowest price i can find on a 16gb class2 card is $33 on pricewatch

11. greenrolaids

It depends on the product.

I have managed a few computer shops in the last 8 years.

We had a huge markup on accessories, like ide cables, fans, usb cables,etc.

But computer memory and flash memory was only about 12% give or take a few percent.

This is why the majority of the class2 16gb cards are around 35-45$ range, and at those prices 1/3 of them might be loss leaders to get people into their store and make your margin back by selling them something else.

"for your HEALTH"

12. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

I got mine yesterday and it is total junk. Very very slow and keeps kicking me out saying cannot rewrite data.

13. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

well i got a 8GB Sandisk MicroSD on eBay and it works perfectly fine. I bought it from a trusted eBay seller (good feedback and past buyers buying the microsd) in the US.

14. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

Mine was a no name from Hong Kong.

15. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

haha i never purchase anything from China. 90% of the time it is defective, but you can get lucky at times. I bought a battery for my old LG enV Touch from China a week ago and its perfectly fine, then I bought the HTC Incredible and was crap, wasted 12 bucks. But sold my enV Touch to my cousin. I narrow my search by selecting, US ONLY, instead of WORLDWIDE, and always buy BRAND NEW IN PACKAGE, if I use eBay.

16. majorcovert

majorcovert Well-Known Member

17. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Everything comes from China, Ebay or not.

18. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah I bought 1 of them too, and I told the seller it wouldn't work(bc it wasn't doing good) and she gave me a full refund, letting me further know that I had bought a piece of garbage. So the problem with the cheap card is that you can put music on them, but when you try to take a pic with your cam then save it to the card it won't save and yes the card is very slow and also it is a no name brand card, but anyways, I would suggest only buying a sandisk or another name brand, do not buy the 1's that are less than $20, in my opinion, and if you still want to buy 1, I'll sell you the 1 I have haha. IF you watch ebay you can catch a good 16gb sandisk for around $30 shipped.

19. bucwylde23

bucwylde23 Well-Known Member

It isn't the fact that it comes from China alone, it's that most of the products sold from sellers in China are questionable at best.

20. SystemsLock

SystemsLock Active Member

Uh-oh, well I bought one and it's still in the mail. The seller had a pretty high rating however.

Oh well, if it fails I figured it was only $16. Pretty cheap for a life lesson.

21. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

Yep. Don't buy memory or batteries from Ebay. You get what you pay for.

22. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

Plenty of things are good from hong kong, just not this kind of stuff. I've ordered tv cables for something like $1.13 shipped to the east coast and they work fine (though it took a month for them to get here).

I'd stick to newegg and amazon for memory cards.

23. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Many of them are fake knock offs from China sellers some work some don't some won't hold a full 16 gig of memory. Its kinda pot luck from what I hear.

24. mallinj

mallinj Well-Known Member

If you want to buy a high capacity card at a brick and mortar, try MicroCenter. They have their own branded cards that are made by Ricoh. I have a 16 that I bought for $50 (which was a very good price when I got it last July) and it has worked really well for me. No affiliation with store other than happy customer.

25. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Well-Known Member

I bought a 16GB card off of ebay just prior to getting my Incredible. It was from a trusted seller in the US. The card was a Sandisk, and cane with the SD adapter and the black/red usb reader that is available on Verizon's site. I've had zero problems with it.
    Quick question to anyone who might know, there were many posts about how you need at least a class 4 or 6 for video. Mine is a class 2, I have downloaded a few movie trailers off of youtube (onto my pc) then converted them as m4v files (like what play on iPods) and they play fine. Were the people who posted about this talking about a higher quality video (like HD) or just video in general, cuz mine have worked fine and have great picture quality.