To those that say not to use a task killer...Support

Last Updated:

1. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

...bollocks says I.

I turned task killer off last night and set it to not load on boot, then rebooted my phone. It had been up for 167 hours and awake for over 100 of those. Promptly after rebooting it was put in a drawer for nine hours overnight.

I get up this morning and what do I find for battery usage?

Up time: 9.5 hours
    Awake time: 9 hours

Sitting in a drawer.

Advertisement
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

This should tell you that there's an app/apps that are causing this bad battery performance / awake time, and you should be addressing the problem apps, and not blanket killing all apps.

It's been proven over and over again that if you eliminate the SOURCE of the drain, you don't need to use task killers. There are plenty of us who don't use task killers, and we don't see crappy awake time.

But... it's your phone. You can task-kill all you want.

3. Headcase_Fargone

Oh I've been looking for the drain alright. Just can't seem to track it down. I really don't have all that much installed in the first place...

4. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Try using the Spare Parts app to check partial wake usage. I removed my task killer after about a week of owning the phone. At best, a task killer is useless, at worst, it kills processes that actually need to be running.

5. Headcase_Fargone

What exactly does the partial wake lock tell you? Just installed it but it's a bit cryptic. For instance, partial wake usage since last boot (last night) shows Android System as 1m 34s total time. What exactly does that tell you?

6. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Partial wake lock tells you what is keeping your phone from going to sleep when the screen shuts off. It means that Android System has kept your phone awake for 1 minute and 34 seconds when it should have been sleeping.

7. sitlet

sitlet Banned

A partial wake is an app that awakes the phone from sleeping, ie thats the problem you are having. Download Spare Parts, give it a day or two, then check the usage.

8. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Check the following apps:

Facebook
    Talk
    Sprint Zone

These have been identified in the past to be very active in the background. Go into each, find settings related to syncing, and disable them. Disable any sort of auto-sign in. Log yourself out explicitly as well.