To those who have handled a dummy Droid....

Last Updated:

1. TheVaristy

TheVaristy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got back from my local Best Buy, and after trying everyday for a week, they finally put out the Droid dummy. Even after reading the reviews, I didnt think the physical keyboard would be an issue for me as I would probably only use it for gaming. Even still, the first thing I did with the dummy, was slide it open and give the keyboard a quick spin. I was quite disheartened to find that the keys were incredibly stiff, including the dpad. I actually had to exert force. Have any of you experienced the same thing? Do you think I can expect the same stiffness from the production model, or is this just an issue with this particular dummy?

Advertisement
  2. JB4times4

JB4times4 Well-Known Member

I was told the dummy phones were poor examples of how awesome the phones are by the best buy rep.

3. Nakagaki

Nakagaki Member

There already is a thread about the dummy phone. The dummy phone is not even close to the real thing. It is just put out so customers can see how big the phone is and how it generally looks. I know from experience, since I use to work at best buy in the cell phone department

4. TheVaristy

TheVaristy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Great! And sorry about that, I did a search for stiff keys, and came up with nothing. Appreciate the info!

5. Spbeyond

Spbeyond Well-Known Member

Yes I just got back from bestbuy and I was handling the dummy, asked the best buy guy if the keyboard was really this terrible and he unlocked the cabinet and let me play with a real one. Its better, not super awesome, but good enough for me. I am a converted Iphone fanboy!

6. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

You have to realize that they have to make the dummy phones "tough" and the keys harder then what they actually are because of all of the hundreds of people who are going to be playing with it.

7. jmarkso

jmarkso Member

I got back from BB a bit ago. The guy I talked to said he was able to hold it for a second and the buttons on it were sooo much better than the dummy phone. So, that's good news!

8. TogaLive

TogaLive Well-Known Member

Well with any keyboard you have to break it in. Infact I prefer a phone with an initially stiff keyboard, so it will loosen up to a more comfortable level, then one which is already loose, which over time will often grow to be very oversensitive, leading to typing errors.

9. Danny1230000

Danny1230000 New Member

I have a droid and when i first got it i thought the keys were very stiff and i grew to like them it makes typing alot easier in a way. yet the more and more you use the phone the more broke in they become and its easier to push them now

10. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

holy old thread batman.