• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

to update to 2.3.6 or not to update

did you update to 2.3.6

• Total voters

h20

Jan 30, 2012
Daytona Beach FL
So i did not chose to update to 2.3.6. i just used bobs kernel for screen fix and O/C;n i installed a sprint PRL and i am still running star rom. with root and CWM. and my phone runs great. fast 3g speeds. WiFi works fine. so i am just curious how many updated? and how many didn't? and for those of you who have updated was it worth it?

Are you rooted? Been a few people getting better speeds with the FF27 baseband. 8 haven't seen a jump in peak speed but I have noticed an overall improvement idips between.
Before I only used wifi for downloading large filesbecause of drops in speed causing a time ot mid way.

I downloaded Project Belle(60mb) from the Play Store the other day. Took 4-5 minutes and completed with out trouble.

You can update just your baseband if rooted.

I personally don't like the FF27 lock screen. A tiny swipe any where on the screen and it opens.

Toynbee! Been following it for awhile.

Upvote 0
So far my wife has found the following bugs on her non-rooted phone running FF27 (and I get to hear about it):

-The SD card randomly unmounts
-Text messages are received out of order
-On the call log screen, the green phone button next to a call that you click on to return the call is gone.
-Wireless location services doesn't work unless wifi is on and it's connected to a wifi network.

And 1 annoyance, there is no way to switch to vibrate on the new lock screen.

I ran the update for a day or so but quit using it because of the wireless location problems. I restored my tweaked 2.3.4 nandroid backup. I'm using Bob's oc kernal for the touch screen fix and updated my baseband to FF27 manually. That baseband update makes a HUGE difference and I recommend at least doing that to anyone who is avoiding the rest of the update.

Upvote 0
-The SD card randomly unmounts
-Text messages are received out of order
-On the call log screen, the green phone button next to a call that you click on to return the call is gone.
-Wireless location services doesn't work unless wifi is on and it's connected to a wifi network.

1. Thats not a FF27 or FG11 bug.. that was happening to me back in 2.3.4 and has been happening to others no matter what version software.. Im gonna go ahead and declare this a pos sdcard that they gave us stock.. I bought a 32gb class 6 card for about 20 bucks on amazon and have had 0 problems since..

Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC6: Electronics

2. I have not had an issue with this but yeah it seems like many have since the update.

3. Thats a change in software not a bug but good luck telling that to a wife.. I had one and they don't care what its called.. they don't like it. Hey, here is an idea those of you that miss it should make a feature request thread and ask for it in a custom rom. If enough support it a dev may be willing to add it in a future iteration of their rom. Or it may inspire more people to become more involved.

4. I dunno about that one.. I always use gps.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
Wth is a toynbee? I keep seeing this but I don't get it.. I must be getting old..

Naw this has been around for as long as the net I do believe. For quite awhile these tiles with messages have been showing up randomly, first around New York and now around the world.
No one knows for sure who or why. All we have is the message.

Happened to me like most I guess. I saw comment by a guy in a forum and I asked? Then I said wait! I know where one of those things is. Went to look and it was gone but a post on a different forum where some ones trying to keep count said there are 14 in my city.

Ive followed directions to where tiles are supposed to be. I think they don't last long because of the demographic here. You start talking about resurrecting the dead on planet Jupiter, well it gets people worked up.

toynbee idea resurrect dead on planet jupiter - Bing Images

7619715212_69c1fdd4dd_z.jpg

toynbee_movie.jpg

What hooked me were the tiles themselves more than the message. Anonymously deliver a message that gets Global attention by making these tiles and sticking them to the streets

Upvote 0
1. Thats not a FF27 or FG11 bug.. that was happening to me back in 2.3.4 and has been happening to others no matter what version software.. Im gonna go ahead and declare this a pos sdcard that they gave us stock.. I bought a 32gb class 6 card for about 20 bucks on amazon and have had 0 problems since..

Thanks for the suggestion. Her's never did it before the update but I'll pick up a new one for her and try that. They're cheap enough. I replaced mine with an 8GB Pny right after I got the phone because 2GB is too small.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. Her's never did it before the update but I'll pick up a new one for her and try that. They're cheap enough. I replaced mine with an 8GB Pny right after I got the phone because 2GB is too small.
Did the same thing I paid $12 fo an 8gb Sandisk. Th stock card is really to small if your rooting, couple of backups and your done.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones