To wipe or not to wipe!Support

Last Updated:

1. pukingbuzzard

pukingbuzzard New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, first post here

For the past 7 months ive been following android, stuck on tmobile with a sidekick slide, the nexus one was supposed to be my king daddy, the price and startup problems caused me to never get one. So after months of waiting im finally getting my first android phone. the Galaxy S. (or if hired at radio shack will be getting the EVO in which case this thread doesn't apply). Ive heard from different people that the samsung android overlay OS is pretty bad, and to just use stock android. I was wondering what yall thought of that....should i go STOCK FLAT android or use what samsung gave ya? If i was to go stock how would i go about doing so?

Also, link to a thread about best starter apps would be nice, or personal recs would also do just fine!

thank you!

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums!

I've moved this to the Samsung Galaxy S forum, as it will receive more
    attention there.

3. drjmo

drjmo Active Member

It's fine, does the job. If you wanted to go with a stock android system you'd have to go through the root / ROM process; you'll see articles on it around. I get the impression it's fairly easy to do once the way has been paved by others!

4. pukingbuzzard

pukingbuzzard New Member This Topic's Starter

when rooting, if ya screw it up can u revert back to default settings via PC connection or even with just the phone?

worth it to do stock android or nah?

5. khivasha

khivasha Member

I was also a bit put off by negative comments about Samsung's front end (and by the dreadful UI on my last Samsung phone, years ago). After a week, I'm finding it perfectly fine and I'm not sure what the fuss is about, although since this is my first Android phone I can't compare it with HTC's Sense UI which people seem to drool over.

If you want to re-skin the UI without rooting etc, there are apps in the Market that give you alternative UIs. Search these forums for the likes of Launcher Pro and ADW. You might also want to download the app Home Switcher, which just provides an easy way to switch between them all while you try them out.