• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Today's Big Event - List of Live Blogs & Streams

Don't see it -- maybe they took it down?

still there for me.

Man this thing looks sick. I have been saying I wouldnt give up my droid for this but now I might be reconsidering. I hope they give some info about how intrusive this new version of blur is. Now I gotta figure out what I can buy for my wife that she wont kill me for buying it

Upvote 0
My summary:

1GHz TI OMAP3640 CPU
8GB internal storage
16GB microSD card included (expandable up to 32GB)
4.3" edge-to-edge screen (848x480)
8MP camera w/ dual LED flash
720p video recording
HDMI out
WiFi Hotspot up to 5 people
True multitouch keyboard w/ Swype built-in
High performance diversity antennas
Three microphones (video, voice, noise cancelling)
1500mA battery
Android 2.1
$199 after $100 rebate
$29.99 for unlimited data, $20 for hotspot functionality (2GB of tethering data)
Ships/available July 15th
Will get Android 2.2 (Froyo) and Flash 10.1 Mobile "this summer"
Battery life compares to original Droid
1930mA battery will be available after launch. Adds 1mm to phone size
Verizon only

Upvote 0
Semi off topic.. but anyone here familiar with Verizon's plans? Here is what I was originally planning to do..

I have a family plan with 4 lines.
I currently have the Incredible that I got through upgrade. When I get the Droid X, it'll be on this line.

However, I have another line that is due for an upgrade that I DON'T want to be part of a data plan... so is there any way I can upgrade that phone to get the Droid X, but transfer it to the line with the Incredible (I plan on selling the Incred)?

So pretty much I'm trying to figure out if I can still get the Droid X discount with the upgrade, but still only keep one line using data (which I'm currently using).

Upvote 0
Semi off topic.. but anyone here familiar with Verizon's plans? Here is what I was originally planning to do..

I currently have the Incredible that I got through upgrade. When I get the Droid X, it'll be on this line.

However, I have another line that is due for an upgrade that I DON'T want to be part of a data plan... so is there any way I can upgrade that phone to get the Droid X, but transfer it to the line with the Incredible (I plan on selling the Incred)?

Thats what im planning on doing.

Upvote 0
So its possible? I want to get the Droid X and if this works out.. I'll actually be making money by selling my Incred and getting the Droid X at a discount (I got my Incred for under $150).

Im pretty sure they will do it. They did it for my sister awhile back, she wasnt up for an upgrade but another line on our family plan was and we were able to use that upgrade and put the phone on her line.

Upvote 0
i think it's nice the droid x is going to ship with 8 gbs of internal memory + 16 gb sd card. I think the evo looks a little more slick cause of the capacitative buttons, but otherwise everything else seems to be on par physically.

In major cities, you'd be hard pressed to find a big difference between sprint and verizon's network, but it's definitely true that verizon generally has better coverage of rural areas. One knock on verizon's network is that their data plan is not really unlimited... it's capped at 5 gbs a month. if you get the $20 tethering addon, the cap moves up to 7gb a month according to today's press event. while i'm sure most people won't even come close to that in normal use, i tether a lot cause i'm on the road for work and in the past two weeks i've already done 18gbs of usage via tether and another 3gbs of use on the phone (probably from streaming all those world cup games). and who knows what data intensive applications will come along in the future...

Oh, and if you are actually in a 4G area, I'd definitely consider getting sprint... 3-4 mbps is really the sweet spot for tethering.

just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
still there for me.

Man this thing looks sick. I have been saying I wouldnt give up my droid for this but now I might be reconsidering. I hope they give some info about how intrusive this new version of blur is. Now I gotta figure out what I can buy for my wife that she wont kill me for buying it

they hooked me.......

apparently you can barely tell its there (ninjablur), according to motorola. but i have heard that you can "turn off" motoblur on past phones so idk.

Upvote 0

So pretty much I'm trying to figure out if I can still get the Droid X discount with the upgrade, but still only keep one line using data (which I'm currently using).

You can do it, but I think they may hit you with the ETF (Early Termination Fee) for canceling your 2 yr contract on the Incredible. Otherwise people could add a line, get the newest phone for the inexpensive price, transfer the number, and then drop the original line, thereby getting an upgrade monthly. That's one of the reasons why the ETF went to $350 on high end smartphones.

Give it a shot though.... might slip thrrough.

Upvote 0
You can do it, but I think they may hit you with the ETF (Early Termination Fee) for canceling your 2 yr contract on the Incredible. Otherwise people could add a line, get the newest phone for the inexpensive price, transfer the number, and then drop the original line, thereby getting an upgrade monthly. That's one of the reasons why the ETF went to $350 on high end smartphones.

Give it a shot though.... might slip thrrough.
I guess thats what I was curious about.. if the phone was directly tied to the contract or if just having a contract pretty much gives you a discount every 2 years. I sold my enV Touch before another update was due and used a Dare for that line instead, wasn't slapped with any fees.. but its mainly because both phones I had no data plans on em. I emailed Verizon and I'll probably stop by the cell phone place today just to see what they say.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones