Toggle Google Voice

Last Updated:

1. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere, and it's quite useful so I thought I'd mention it.

If you're like me and you set up your Google Voice as a new number but everyone knows your old number, you find that you'll use your regular number for calls most of the time but every now and then you'll want to call out with your GV number. There's an easy way to do that! From a home screen:

Add -> Shortcuts -> Toggle Google Voice

Now you have a "switch" on your home screen that lets you switch between calling from your regular number and your GV number with one press.

Advertisement
    mrlanrat likes this.
  2. itsgreg

itsgreg Member

I use this, except I use GV for ALL calls, and switch it off on random occasions when GV fails to connect.

3. mplevy

mplevy Well-Known Member

I have it set to prompt when I dial or send an SMS. A nice improvement to the GV app would be an option to prompt for a GV call or non-GV call only when you use the dialpad to enter the number, and never prompt (using the default) for calling contacts.

4. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a RELIABLE app which will channel GV calls thru the carrier system? So you can optionally use it only when a data connection is flaky or non-existent. (Yes, I tried AccuDial, off and on for a month. "Tis the season", so I'll be nice: No!)

5. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

When you make a call using GV, does it dial a phone number?

Isnt it suppose to use internet's data to transfer call? Or that's what it should be.

6. Steveindajeep

Steveindajeep New Member

How do I know when its off or on?

When ever I press the shortcut it just says "do not use google voice for any calls". Dont I have to press it again to turn it on? When I press it again it tells me the same thing.

I have a droid btw.

7. Sitting Duck

Sitting Duck Well-Known Member

It dials a local number that seems to change from time to time which makes it impossible to add to your friends and family so it does use minutes. The only way around this is to go to Google Voice on your browser and initiate the call from there. It will then call your phone showing your Google Voice number as the caller ID of the incoming call. When you answer, it will start ringing the number you called. If you put your Google Voice number in your friends and family, there's no airtime for calls to or from this number. You can also call your Google Voice number from your phone then hit 2 to make a call but you are using minutes unless your Google Voice number is in your friends and family list (assuming you have that option). Also, if you change your settings in Google Voice (from the web site) to show the Google Voice number as the caller ID on incoming calls (rather than the caller's number) then incoming calls from someone who dials your Google Voice number are airtime free, again assuming you've put your Google Voice number in your friends and family list.

8. MoreYummy

MoreYummy Well-Known Member

ok. thanks for info.

Sounds alot more complicated than I thought.

I wish it uses voip.