Tomorrow: DROID or ERIS?General

Last Updated:

1. Hockey4jack

Hockey4jack Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, I need your help. Tomorrow I am going to buy either the Eris or the Droid, and like both a lot. Although, I hear the Eris's battery is bad and that it is slow. Is this true, or should I just get the DROID? (and it's godforsaken awful keyboard?) Also, should 2.x help clean up this device?

Advertisement
  2. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

Based on HTC's past, I would think that, yes, an o/s update will cure some of the issues (what's what they're for, after all). But that's not a guarantee by any means. My advice: go with whatever phone you like NOW, not one you THINK you will like later. For me it was the Eris.

3. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

I agree with you....I know OS can do miracles :D

...and so I went with Eris as well :)

4. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Eris. You'll thank me later.

5. tats_06

This is funny...I wonder what responses you would get by posting exactly same thread in a droid sub-forum... :D

6. Ataranine

I don't even go to the DROID sub-forum. Too elitist for me.

7. Hockey4jack

Now, do you experience any lag on your phone? I didn't see any in the Verizon store, except when switching from portrait to landscape keyboard.

8. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

judging by the droid owners that craped all over the forum today. thier a bunch rednecks with thier shinny new lifted 4x4 which has never seen mud. and claim it's better than my 92 blazer with the rust hole and caked in the mud thier truck could only dream to play in.

9. Ataranine

I do not, not one bit, despite what elitist DROID owners will tell you.
    I can run all my apps at once, download 3 apps at once, listen to MP3s, and text people without a single hiccup.

And the battery life is a whole lot better once you condition your battery a few times, and install Task Manager to get rid of useless background activity.

10. Ataranine

I'm sorry, was that some sort of insult? Or... . ?

11. tats_06

There are measures to eliminate most of lag. I really love mine the more and more I learn about it. :)

12. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

I first got the Moto Droid. Way to heavy and hated the keyboard. I then switched to the HTC Eris, which fits my needs better. You just need to figure out which one fits your needs better. Everyone has their own opinion and rightly so, but you need to decide what your opinion is? Good Luck! :)

13. Hockey4jack

The processor is also smaller than the DROID's, do you ever feel that effect? And what about it's connectivity to Verizon's network?

14. Ataranine

The processor makes not one difference. I've noticed much more lag on a DROID than on the Eris, regardless of whether I'm running Home or SenseUI.
    The connectivity is awesome, I never drop calls, and voice sounds perfect even when I have gray bars (which is a UI problem, not a network or phone one).
    My suggestion is to just go to the store, try them both out for a while, and make your decision based off that.

But if you want a phone that sits well in your hand and pocket, and performs just as good as its more expensive counterpart, AND is getting the 2.1 update early 2010, get the Eris.
    :D

15. tats_06

I noticed you said gray bars is a UI problem? I constantly have gray bars. How does it work?

16. Ataranine

It has been addressed by HTC and Verizon as a UI problem, and will be fixed on December 11th. I have gray bars all the time also, especially whilst in a call, but it doesn't effect my phone call at all. Thus it's a UI problem and not an ACTUAL hardware problem. :)

17. rigamrts

this is getting real old real fast. let me say this from the cheap seats.

THE DROID RUNS A PLAIN JANE ANDROID OS. THE ERIS RUNS SENSE UI WHICH RUNS OVER TOP OF THE ANDROID OS. IT IS NOT BUILT INTO ANDROID AT ALL. YOU CAN'T COMPAIR THE DROID TO THE ERIS TILL YOU HAVE AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD. I.E. BOTH RUNNING THE SAME TYPE OF PLATFORM AND ONLY THEN WILL YOU SEE THE ERIS KNOCK THE SOCKS OFF THE DROID IN SPEED AND RELIABILITY.

18. tats_06

Thanks! In no way I thought it was hardware. Hardware is perfect on Eris! I can't wait for Friday to come soon enough! Thanks again. :)

19. Ataranine

Well are you aware that you can pretty much do that, by disabling the SenseUI? ;)
    Brings me to another point, you don't get anywhere NEAR as many widgets on the vanilla android as you do with SenseUI. Another selling point. :D

20. falexs

falexs Well-Known Member

Judging from what I experienced at the Verizon store... I prefer the Eris. The droid is to big, don't like the slide out keyboard... well what I was trying to say is that it all depends on personal preference.

What did it for me was the size, it met the requirements for my wife and myself, and getting two at $100 was great. The Droid offers way too many bells and whistles for me.

21. rigamrts

andrewdoane i know that i'm not raging on the eris i never was. i'm just tired of the my phone has a 22 mhz faster processor. i'm just pointing out how the droid owners logic is flawed when they compair the droid to the eris. i hope you don't think i was saying this to you.

22. Ataranine

:) No problem. I'm stoked for Friday to come too...can't wait to see all the improvements!

23. Ataranine

andrewdoane is the guy whose post I quoted. I am Ataranine. :D
    Yeah I really can't stand the DROID owners boasting about their insignificantly faster processor. xD

24. li2327

li2327 Active Member

I didn't like the keyboard on the droid and got the eris. I don't regret my decision at all. I fell in love with the size. You get use to the all touchscreen really quick.

25. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

If playing games interests you, let me steer you towards the Droid. I found some pretty awesome NES, SNES, and Genesis emulators on the marketplace, but without a physical keyboard, playing them is pretty useless. I would have enjoyed playing all those ROMs, but I'll be alright without it.