Tomorrow's Sprint 2.2 update over Unrevoked 3?

Last Updated:

1. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So looks like tomorrow/ weekend is the date for 2.2. Im "rooted" via unrevoked 3. Should I unroot or just go ahead and apply the update when I receive it?

Advertisement
  2. rtmeikle

rtmeikle Well-Known Member

Same question here. I used unrevoked3 to get free wifi tether, but wanted to remain as "stock" as possible. Can I apply the update tomorrow? If I do, I assume I'll lose the wi-fi tether ability. Is that something that I'll never be able to get back?

3. JackT

JackT Well-Known Member

You won't get it back until it gets rooted again. You could wait for a ROM to roll the 2.2 with root.

rtmeikle likes this.
  4. Jonhern

Jonhern Well-Known Member

so i can just upgrade over unrevoked 3, or do I have to unroot first? I have no problem losing it, i mainly only use it for the FPS fix and to make a backup. I already did that with nandorid and titanium, so i am set in that department for awhile and would like to get froyo from stock, just guessing doing it with a custom root version will wipe data but the OTA update will not which i like since i hate redoing everything on my phone. Correct me if I am wrong on that point.

5. tjwoo

tjwoo Well-Known Member

Just so you know. If you accept ota, and you update, it will be most likely permanently unrooted until 2.2 is dissected and rooted again.
    You will NOT be able to restore via titanium once you are unrooted.

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I would return your unrevoked phone to stock before applying any OTA update. Last OTA update, there were reported instances of rooted phones being bricked. Don't take the chance.

And like what others have said, once you go back to stock and get 2.2 official release, you won't be able to root again until hackers find a new exploit on the 2.2 ROM. Whereas if you're already rooted, getting a rooted 2.2 stock rom will be a breeze.

The moral: if you have root, treasure it. Don't give it away lightly. You may never have a chance to get it back.

7. HopeofCarter

HopeofCarter Well-Known Member

As otheres mention, you should wait until xda puts out their version of 2.2 so that you don't have to lose root.

8. skunkd

skunkd Well-Known Member

Let's say I upgrade to 2.2 and want to go back to Sprints stock Rom and root again in case it doesn't get rooted... is that possible to do once your on froyo?

9. exBBuser

exBBuser Well-Known Member

People if u want Froyo so bad there are plenty of Betas out there which are pretty damn stable,I use one of them as my daily driver and have not got any issues.

drdrewdown likes this.
  10. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

That was a very confusing question. Here's how i interpret it:

You want to give up root and upgrade to the official 2.2. Then, you want to apply a stock 2.2 with root, in case an exploit to gain root access is never achieved on the official 2.2.

What you ask is not possible. Once you unroot, you lose the ability to install custom ROMs. Furthermore, the procedures you currently see to root your phone from a stock build will NOT APPLY to 2.2. You will have to wait for someone to figure out how to break into a 2.2 build. If no one ever figures it out (unlikely), you will never be able to get root access again.

If you are currently rooted, and you are patient, wait for someone to add superuser to the official 2.2 stock build. Then flash this rom. Adding superuser to a rom is very trivial and should be available the same day the official 2.2 is released. Worst case, the day after.

11. fonso4g

fonso4g New Member

once you update your root will be lost, there is a rom that has froyo 2.2 its called cyanogenmod. 4g, fm radio arent avaliable but the camera does work