TomTom for Android

1. John P

John P Well-Known Member

I see its finally here, although doesn't seem to be compatible with the GS3 yet for some reason.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.ukireland

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.europe&feature=more_from_developer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.uscanada&feature=more_from_developer

EDIT 07/12/12
    I see its now compatible with newer/high res devices

TomToms notes>
    What's in this version:
    - Increased device compatibility: the app is now optimised for the latest smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X, LG Optimus G and other smartphones with a screen resolution between 800 x 480 pixels and 1280 x 800 pixels.

Advertisement
    Toosploos likes this.
  2. Toosploos

Toosploos Well-Known Member

Got a link to the info about the incompatibility with the s3? That would be a shame.
  3. John P

John P Well-Known Member

No I don't have a link, but when im logged into the store, on the left where it tells you whether or not its compatible with my devices it says its compatible with my zte blade, but not my GS3 :(

I would be interested to know if it says compatible for other peoples s3's or not, what does yours say Toosploos?
  4. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

not compaitble with me niether in Canada
    John P likes this.
  5. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

So then why post it in the GS3 forum?

Seems like this should be in the Android Applications forum.

I don't think we'd want someone to post this in every handset forum and then have 100 of the same discussions going on.
  6. John P

John P Well-Known Member

Don't know really, I suppose because I go in this forum mostly, so automatically posted it here + I want to know whether it says incompatible on other people GS3's?
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

[​IMG]

I suppose its a screen resolution thing. Would be interesting to see if the GNex is compatible
    John P likes this.
  8. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

Are you looking to install TomTom, instead of using Google Nav because of speed camera updates or something else? I ask because I am curious and I have found TomTom to not be as accurate in routing you places and the traffic updating is slow, in comparison to Google Nav.
  9. badboybubby

badboybubby Well-Known Member

I have Co pilot live, works better than my Tom Tom stand alone and you also get free map updates unlike tom tom.
    John P likes this.
  10. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

John P likes this.
  11. John P

John P Well-Known Member

Yes I would like to try it mainly because I have had a standalone TomTom for years which I have found very good personally. On the few occasions I have used Google Nav I have found, for some reason the routes it sends me on are ridiculous. Maybe its where I live lol.
  12. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

Wales? Lands end? If you live in Wales, I can understand why. The Google drivers kept getting lost, because they couldnt understand any of the signs once they got off the motorways. :D
  13. John P

John P Well-Known Member

lol, North Devon.
    I'm driving up to Liverpool on Sunday, so I will give Google Nav another go :)
  14. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

When I am in my home country, I use Google Navigation. When I go abroad, that gets much too expensive and I use CoPilot. I have maps for Europe and so far it has proven to be great. Have not tried it on GS3 yet.
    John P likes this.
  15. Noxian

Noxian Well-Known Member

16. joemonkey

joemonkey Well-Known Member

17. Toosploos

Toosploos Well-Known Member

I'd love to try TomTom on my S3 because their iPhone app is the best thing out there here in SE Asia. The other day my NDrive quite literally led me to a sand path in the middle of some Thai mountains before it admitted that it actually didnt have a clue where my destination was. Took a 50 kilometer detour cause of that poc. My wife's iPhone TomTom had to solve the problem.
    Google Nav is unreliable for us because of the often very weak data signal in my neck of the woods.
  18. That wasn't on iOS 6 then. Because iPhone navigation since iOS 6 (last week) seems to not be able to hold a candle to Google Maps/Nav!

Has your wife
  19. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I used standalone TomTom units for several years and found their routing and estimated travel times to be excellent, mostly because of their IQ Routes, which uses actual travel speeds of the roadways in the routing calculations, based on the day of week and time of day you're traveling (in 15 minute intervals). However, their software was always buggy, and bugs tended to linger for multiple major releases of the software, while all the while they introduced new bugs.

I was really looking forward to this release, hoping to get better routing and route editing (road avoidance), but the price is a little steep, especially considering that it's only compatible with low end devices, or top of the line devices from 3 years ago. I really don't see users with a three year old phone, or a phone they spent $50 on (with contract) plunking down $50 on an app that will likely be incompatible with their next device.
  20. TomTom (and Garmin) was king of the GPS hill until the introduction of smartphones. They've struggled to keep up since. It is TomTom's map data that drives iOS 6' maps and navigation app (Apple was desperate; they had to buy something).

You may want to try out free 'Waze'. It's a navigation app that introduces another data source besides historical data sources into the mix: realtime crowdsourcing!

Waze - Free GPS, Traffic and Gas App | Waze - YouTube
  21. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

I tried Waze earlier this year and literally added dozens of roads and made hundreds of other corrections in areas near me. But after reading their tutorial on map editing and all the intricacies that go into it, I suspect a lot of user-submitted map changes are less than optimal (probably including mine too).

Back to TomTom, I think their maps are (or at least were) much better than Apple Maps makes them look. If it becomes general knowledge (outside the tech enthusiast arena) that TomTom maps are at the heart of Apple Maps, and the public believes that Apple Maps is representative of TomTom's map quality, I think TomTom's Android app will be a non-starter with Android users, that is if its severely limited compatibility doesn't kill it first.