Tonight will be the night

Last Updated:

1. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That I take the plunge and Root my phone. I love my Hero, and it works pretty well. That being said, I am ready to remove some Sprint bloatware, and open up the possibility of flashing a new ROM. For now though it's just the root. I'm fairly decent with techie type stuff, but this will be my first foray into Android so I will be following the stickied guide word for word. Wish me luck, and I'll see you on the other side. :D

Advertisement
  2. KitsapAndroid

OK, so I followed the guide step by step and all went well right up until it was time to flash a recovery. I cannot get it to do this. My error message is-- cannot stat 'recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img': No such file or directory.

I renamed the backup file to this like it told me to so I'm not sure why it's telling me that it doesn't exist. According to the instructions, my phone is rooted now, but I would like to be able to make the Nandroid backup as well. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks.

3. KitsapAndroid

OK, now I get:
    adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img /_IsRes.dll -> sdcard/_IsRes.dll
    failed to copy 'recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img/_IsRes.dll' to '/sdcard/_IsRes.dll'
    : Permission denied

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Edit: I am stopping for tonight and will resume tomorrow. Hopefully someone can chime in on where I may have gone wrong.

4. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

why are you trying to push to a .dll file? That is not in the guide at all.

Try this, first make sure the recovery image is on the SD card. It should be named:

recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img

If it is on the SD card, please continue with the guide and try again. Make sure your SD card is NOT mounted and that USB Debugging is enabled. Make sure to copy and paste. Do not type things out yourself.

5. Danokan

Danokan Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor.

RENAME the recovery file to simply "recovery".

Then make sure your phone is mounted and connected correctly.

That was the problem I had over and over and over....

Oh.. and one more thing.

Make sure when you are doing the adb commands that you have the proper spaces in between commands, etc..

6. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member

I did the same thing my first time out. I didnt have the recovery image on the sd card.
    I thought the same thing, that i would root, delete apps and that would be it. I installed fresh2.0d and its been great. Save for the ridiculous lag i get while typing things like this in the browser. I cant wait for the official 2.1, ill probably flash that and root.

7. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

copy and paste the commands... no need to rename to recovery..and no need to worry about spacing.. plus it makes sure you don't have a typo..

8. Danokan

Danokan Well-Known Member

Welll ya.. if you want to make it REAL easy ;)

9. mysticmead

naaa.. if ya want to make it REAL easy... use Fresh Kitchen

10. KitsapAndroid

I wasn't trying to push the .dll file. I did in fact copy and paste after regular typing wasn't working. I'm a hands on kind of guy so typing it out is more interesting to me until I run into an issue. Then it's copy and paste to make sure I didn't screw up my typing. I don't think I have the recovery image on the SD. That may be my problem. I may have misunderstood. I thought I was trying to push the image to the SD with the commands. I have it in the tools folder like it says, but did not drag and drop it to the SD. Got some things to try now. Thanks! I'll update in a bit.

11. mysticmead

yep... trying to push it to the SD card.. but you can by pass that step and just copy it there.. as far as permission denied, make sure the SD card is NOT mounted while trying to root. USB Debugging on, Mount Off..

KitsapAndroid likes this.
  12. KitsapAndroid

So when I did reboot recovery, It reboot me to a screen with a white triangle with a yellow exclamation inside of it and a little phone laying in front of it and froze on that screen. After several minutes of waiting I pulled the battery to get it back to being normal. Any ideas on what that is and how top avoid it?

13. mysticmead

did you successfully flash the recovery image? pushing is only half the battle

14. KitsapAndroid

No I have not been successful yet. Took a lunch break after the freeze but I am digging back in now. I'll keep this updated.

15. KitsapAndroid

Success! I am now officially rooted and have a recovery! :D Thanks for the assistance guys!

16. mysticmead

congrats!!! now to get you on a custom 2.1 ROM :D

17. KitsapAndroid

Once the official 2.1 releases and the brewers get some time to play with it, then I will be looking into flashing a new ROM. 1.5 works well enough for now. :)

18. tailsthecat

tailsthecat Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing until i flashed fresh2.0d. Ill flash to official when it releases and delete the useless sprint apps...IF its rootable.

19. _fng_

_fng_ Member

dumb newbie question: how do you know you successfully rooted, installed flash 2.0? I tried to search and couldn't find an answer (didn't search too hard)

/thread hijack

20. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

21. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

my phone would not flash the recovery no matter what i did.

for anyone else who is having issues, just follow the normal root guide, but don't bother with downloading and the line of code to copy the recovery image. just do the normal rooting process...exit...exit...and reboot.

once you're back into your OS you can simply download rom manager from marketplace (free) and then use that to install the root. (you must first install rom manager's own root file (whcih you can use too) and normal afterwards you can select flash the normal recovery image (scroll down in the app).

Rom Manager worked out for me nicely and it seems easier than typing/copying lines of code. :)

22. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Well-Known Member

if ur flashing to 2.1...you can download wireless tether (free app) from marketplace. if it works, then you have rooted your device, if not, you haven't.

23. _fng_

_fng_ Member

thanks, teethering works so I guess I succeeded. Great forum here