• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tons of issues with new Galaxy S2 (I777)

Dranixger

Lurker
Oct 1, 2013
I bought a Galaxy S2 (AT&T I-777 model) off ebay that was listed as new, but there are tons of problems with it. I can't pinpoint what the cause is though. Here are some issues I've experienced:

--Will not charge via charger. I plug it in and it won't register that it's hooked up unless I wiggle the charger in a certain way into the port. Even then though, it'll recognize that it is hooked up, but it will not charge; the battery actually goes down. It also won't connect to my computer even if it recognizes that it is hooked up to the usb cord.
--Battery won't properly hold a charge. At first, it was because I was charging it with the usb and it just wasn't delivering the juice right. But I bought an external charger and a 2nd battery to switch out with it, and both of them will be perfectly fine for a while, but at some point (usually around 50% so far) the phone will turn itself off and then reboot with maybe 10% battery life. Not sure if it has anything to do with the 2 batteries having different mAh ratings, but
--it's still randomly turning off and rebooting and I don't know why; the first time it did it, I was txting, 2nd time was when I opened up the camera app. This is obviously a problem because my last phone was constantly turning itself off at random and losing battery life insanely fast sometimes with no cause, but it was an env3 that was years old and had been dropped countless times. This new phone should not be that buggy.

I'm about to take it to a cell repair shop and ask them if they know, but I figured I'd come here first. Is it something with the software causing this? Or is the phone itself just malfunctioned and damaged? I'd rather not have to return it to the seller and be without a phone for a week while straight talk renews itself on a sim card with no phone, but I also don't want to have to pay $60 to get the phone fixed.

I bought a Galaxy S2 (AT&T I-777 model) off ebay that was listed as new, but there are tons of problems with it. I can't pinpoint what the cause is though. Here are some issues I've experienced:

--Will not charge via charger. I plug it in and it won't register that it's hooked up unless I wiggle the charger in a certain way into the port. Even then though, it'll recognize that it is hooked up, but it will not charge; the battery actually goes down. It also won't connect to my computer even if it recognizes that it is hooked up to the usb cord.
--Battery won't properly hold a charge. At first, it was because I was charging it with the usb and it just wasn't delivering the juice right. But I bought an external charger and a 2nd battery to switch out with it, and both of them will be perfectly fine for a while, but at some point (usually around 50% so far) the phone will turn itself off and then reboot with maybe 10% battery life. Not sure if it has anything to do with the 2 batteries having different mAh ratings, but
--it's still randomly turning off and rebooting and I don't know why; the first time it did it, I was txting, 2nd time was when I opened up the camera app. This is obviously a problem because my last phone was constantly turning itself off at random and losing battery life insanely fast sometimes with no cause, but it was an env3 that was years old and had been dropped countless times. This new phone should not be that buggy.

I'm about to take it to a cell repair shop and ask them if they know, but I figured I'd come here first. Is it something with the software causing this? Or is the phone itself just malfunctioned and damaged? I'd rather not have to return it to the seller and be without a phone for a week while straight talk renews itself on a sim card with no phone, but I also don't want to have to pay $60 to get the phone fixed.

I think you are having problem with your current battery and the charging port. You can bring it to your cell phone repair shop and borrow them the other battery to check it first, then ask them to borrow other charger and check also. I am not sure about the board inside but check that two things first. If your battery has a problem. Then you must replace it without losing your repair cost. A new battery cost you around 25usd i guesst. Im hoping this will help a little. Good luck.:)

Upvote 0
I think you are having problem with your current battery and the charging port. You can bring it to your cell phone repair shop and borrow them the other battery to check it first, then ask them to borrow other charger and check also. I am not sure about the board inside but check that two things first. If your battery has a problem. Then you must replace it without losing your repair cost. A new battery cost you around 25usd i guesst. Im hoping this will help a little. Good luck.:)
It's not the battery, as I bought a new one and it crashed randomly as well, same as the one that came with it. The charging port is definitely a strong possibility though. It isn't in the charger because I tried 2 or 3 different chargers that all failed to charge it properly. Mostly, I just don't want to pay to fix the charging port and then it turns out that the entire phone is damaged (it's possible that the seller lied to me about this being new because he kind of dodged my question about it being new or refurbished)

Upvote 0
It's not the battery, as I bought a new one and it crashed randomly as well, same as the one that came with it. The charging port is definitely a strong possibility though. It isn't in the charger because I tried 2 or 3 different chargers that all failed to charge it properly. Mostly, I just don't want to pay to fix the charging port and then it turns out that the entire phone is damaged (it's possible that the seller lied to me about this being new because he kind of dodged my question about it being new or refurbished)

Better fix it than nothing. If you have figured out what happened to your phone. Than you should let them fix it. There is no second time for being cheat by the seller. This is a good experience for you to deal with it. I am not telling you to sell it to other although you can cheat them like what that guy did to you. Do what things are the best for you. Good luck.

Anyway, 60usd for a port is ridiculous price.

Upvote 0
Better fix it than nothing. If you have figured out what happened to your phone. Than you should let them fix it. There is no second time for being cheat by the seller. This is a good experience for you to deal with it. I am not telling you to sell it to other although you can cheat them like what that guy did to you. Do what things are the best for you. Good luck.

Well the problem with letting them (the local phone repair shop) fix it is that I would have to pay for it. The seller was on ebay in California, and I'm in Tennessee. So if the seller is cheating me by selling a refurbished phone as new with issues, then I don't trust them to send me back another "new" one that's working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones