Too big, okay?

Last Updated:

1. diver110

diver110 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I took a look at the DroidX at Verizon. My gut reaction was that it was too big and that I should wait for the Droid2. I am wondering how actual users find it though. I always wear my cells on my belt, so it is not like I would have to squeeze it into a pocket. Are people finding it too big or not that big of a deal?

Advertisement
  2. mytank

mytank New Member

I don't find it too big, but I keep it in my purse or my hand... and I seldomly talk on it like a phone... I typically use bluetooth... but I am enjoying the extra screen space to view the web and email... since thats what I use the phone for the most.

~Kari

3. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

I find it to be the perfect size, and gets alot of attention. (Thats what she said)

4. ahnoff

ahnoff Active Member

If you have big hands, you'll be fine. I do, and I actually prefer the slight bigger size because typing is a breeze and it gives me more to hold on to. Beyond that, though, I think people over-analyze something like the size when it comes to a cell phone. The X is bigger than a DInc or the upcoming Droid 2, but you get a lot of screen real estate which makes it more than worth it. I've been regularly watching videos on my X during my subway commute, which is something I never did on my Droid because of the screen size.

Let me put it this way: I think you need to think about how the size translates to a larger display and less about the physical size. If you're someone that will do a lot of web surfing, email, anything that would be made better/easier by 4.3 inches of screen, definitely get this phone.

I've been through a lot of phones in the past year (HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, Droid, HTC Evo 4G, now the X) and this is by far the best.

5. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

I was afraid it might be too big but I went and looked at the EVO and played around with it and figured the size was just about right. Not sure I would want anything bigger for a phone but even my wife loves the size.

6. redgtconv

redgtconv Well-Known Member

I believe the X is thinner and lighter than the Droid, and the bigger screen just makes it so much more usable as a GPS, browsing, video, etc.

7. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I personally love the size. The screen is great for multimedia. It's probably not for everyone though. Best bet would be to play with one a bit.

8. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I have no issues with it's size whatsoever. It fits well in may hand, is easy to read, and (so far!) does it's job quite nicely...

9. Steady_Mobbin831

Steady_Mobbin831 Active Member

yea i thought soo to but after i got it i didnt even think bout the size no more

10. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

I personally like the size. I do have to occasionally adjust my hand though so that my thumb can reach the other corner of the screen. I love browsing on it as compared to my Incredible. Lots of screen real estate!

When I look at the screen of my Incredible, I'm just quite amazed at how tiny it looks.

11. Paznos

Paznos Well-Known Member

Initially it may look and feel to big but after having it for over a week man using my friend's droid felt a tad to small and going forward I'm gonna need a phone with at least a 4.0" screen.

12. EKG

EKG Well-Known Member

The size is PERFECT. Seriously. I could never ever go to a smaller screen now.

13. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

I think it is the perfect size, especially for what we use it for the most. I also keep it in a clip on my belt and it's no different than the Droid, except it is lighter and thinner! When using it as a phone the clarity is awesome and I think part of the reason is due to the size it blocks the wind, etc.

14. waterdroid

waterdroid Member

I think the size is perfect .i had a eris and I bought my daughter a droid 1 and i thought how could someone carry a phone that big.The x size grows on you now i look at other phones and think they are to small

15. vaxick

vaxick Well-Known Member

I have small hands and I have no issues at all holding the phone. I'm enjoying the extra screen space a lot. It makes surfing the web a lot more enjoyable and is wonderful for GPS navigation.

16. anaphora68

anaphora68 Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable with the size of the phone. I have a Droid 1, and now the screen honestly seems a bit small on the Droid 1, vs. the X.

I just wish Moto had bumped the resolution up, but past that, good size, great phone.

One thing though, 4.3'' is the absolute size limit for me on phone screens. Any bigger, and I would not be able to handle it.

17. lesscryptic2

lesscryptic2 Well-Known Member

i like the size and nobody thats snatched it out of my hand has said its too big, either

if you had small hands for a girl i could see having a problem with it

edit: that said, i think it LOOKS ridiculous. i just dont have any issues with the usability re: size

18. diver110

diver110 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I have big, slender hands, so no issue there.

19. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

Surfing differences are night and day. The biggest problem with the size is that you are now stuck with it as you won't want to go with anything smaller in the future. :)

20. shadowangel

shadowangel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want a larger screen. But the screen on the X is about perfect, imho. Plenty of screen space for browsing, texting, or enjoying media. Nice, large touch keyboard. Fits fine in my pocket. Everyone that has seen my X loves it.

21. gibbga

gibbga Well-Known Member

I was really worried about the size before it came out. I was still a little concerned even after having it for a day or two. All of those concerns are gone. It just took some getting used to really. I keep my phone in my pocket, and it fits there comfortably.
    I've shown it off to a few people, and they ALL have to pull out their phones (usually iphones) to compare the sizes. At least 2 of them (one of which is a woman with smaller hands) are planning on switching to Verizon in the next month or two just so they can get one.

22. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

I liken it to computer screens, anyone remember when 13" screens were the norm (maybe I am aging myself here), but now nobody would want anything less than 19" or even 22". I do think 4.3 will be as large as anyone will want, until they come out with the flexible rollup screens!

23. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly. Typing is just so much better on this thing than it is something the size of the iPhone.

When I was in line ready to buy it in the store I was a little worried about the size. Playing with it while it's tethered to the display, it does look and feel big. Especially fighting with the wire connecting it to the display. Actually using it on a day to day basis, it's pretty much the perfect size. I didn't even feel like it was too big on day 1 of using it.

24. onesicktexan

onesicktexan Well-Known Member

Good to know, haven't seen a bad comment yet.

DRROOIIIDDD

25. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I thought it was way too big the first time I looked at. Too big from both how it looks and how it would be to use. I was worried that I gave up my Inc for something I might not be happy with.

After using it for a week or so, it definitely doesn't look to big and it's just barely under the point of being too big for me (and I have small hands). Definitely fits in my pocket fine, so that's a complete non-issue.

I can just about swype one handed if I need to, so I'm fine.

Very happy I switched from the inc to the X.