Too damn creaky!!!General

Last Updated:

1. turbo2ltr

turbo2ltr Member This Topic's Starter

By far the most annoying thing about this phone is the fact that the screen creaks when closed. I cant figure out exactly what from, but it sounds like its the contact point right above the power button. Anyone else have this problem? It's really annoying when you're talking on it.

Also, i noticed the idiot tmo rep broke one of the little tabs on the back cover when she forcefully pulled the cover off the back. I saw her pull on it rather forcefully, but figured she knew what she was doing. Fortunately, there is only a minuscule difference of the tightness of the back cover right around the camera button..

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

No creakiness here.

3. I7oobie

I7oobie Active Member

I've got creakiness, although I don't think it's the back cover...

4. turbo2ltr

turbo2ltr Member This Topic's Starter

Its not, I just mentioned that.

I just put it under a stereo microscope and found out where its coming from. If you have the phone with the chin on the bottom, at the top right corner of the chin above the power button there is a little "nub" of plastic. This touches the screen when its closed and I assume positions it in the right place so it lines up with the bottom... Well its this point right there that is causing the noise. if I hold a piece of scotch tape so the screen closes on the tape at that point, it doesn't creak at all.

I also found I have a dead green pixel in the lower portion of the screen.

But even with the screen close, I feel its a bit flimsy, especially near the volume buttons, it seems like its really easy to separate the screen from the body a few mm.

5. Durf

Durf Well-Known Member

Mines pretty solid. No creaks

6. Huey Freeman

Huey Freeman Well-Known Member

7. sajj

sajj Active Member

creakiness here, lotta different ppl tried to solve it.

most ppl solved it by getting an exacto knife and chopping off the nub.

i tried doing that, after a while it came back, i'm guessing i didnt chop off enough.

my sister and me got phone from the same batch, mine is creaky but hers is okay -_-

i'll keep you posted if i find another solution.

---edit
    quickfix: electric tape on nub area, only need a small piece. i'll rock it like that for the moment!

8. Syrax

Syrax Well-Known Member

I'm not getting any creakiness from my device though I did notice that I managed to chip off one of the tabs of the back cover. I tried to be careful while removing the cover but I guess I failed. It still holds fine so I'm glad about that.

9. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

It is coming from above the power button. If you open the screen half way and "shave" off some of the plastic on the rounded area where the top right and top of power button meet, the creaking will completely stop. I will make a tutorial sooner or later. :)

10. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

I started experiencing the creaky noise and feel after less than a week of having the phone. And I did dropped my phone twice, luckily my floor is wood so I assumed it contributed to the creaking which I started noticing thereafter.

But the creaking disappeared, or appeared to be after I installed the Bodyguardz protector. It could be dampening the points of contact from what everyone is pointing out.

11. lrcarter

lrcarter New Member

I have the same problem with the back cover, only I broke the tab myself. The back cover ain't that easy to get off.

12. g1mp

g1mp Member

I'm so glad I found this post... that creaking was killing me! i saw that little nub and i grabbed a razor blade and cut it flat. now it's a sexy quiet beast!!!!

13. I7oobie

I7oobie Active Member

Agreed. Running the sharp end of an exacto knife over that nub a couple of time to minimize it helped out greatly!

14. ryaninc

ryaninc New Member

I'll be darned. I didn't expect that to work, but my G1 is nice and silent now, no more creaking. The whole taking a knife to my phone bit scared me, but it worked. :D

15. I7oobie

I7oobie Active Member

Believe me, me too. Does anyone who's done this notice the screen sits ever so slightly crooked? Maybe it's just me being a perfectionist...

16. I7oobie

I7oobie Active Member

Anybody? Bueller?