• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Too Many Contacts in Messenger and Not deleting contacts???

joe pau

Lurker
Oct 17, 2012
I recently moved to a new phone, Droid Turbo, and moved all my contacts. To my dismay I had 1900+ contacts. Most were useless or duplicates of everything I already had.

I used the app, contact remover, to eliminate duplicates and useless. I then exported the results to a csv. I cleared my contacts via the "clear data" in Contacts storage. Then I imported the csv and, voile, ALL 1900 contacts reappeared!!!!! Additionally, in Messenger or any sms app, I have multiple entries for the same contacts. Not sure it's related but all I wanted to do was eliminate the 2, 3 and 4 entries of the same person. It usually shows up as 2 phone and 2 email in messenger. So, my questions are:

1) When I delete contacts in Contact Remover why didn't they really get deleted?

2) How do I get multiple contact entries, of the same person, to not show up in messenger?

3) Why is google not deleting my edits to my contacts?

FYI...When I look at my contacts in Contact Remover, I see 2 types of entries, 1 for google and 1 for phone, often a close duplicate of each other. Hope this helps

Appreciate the help.

Contacts can be stored in 3 places.

1. As Google contacts. These are stored on the phone and synced to your Google account (unless sync is turned off).
2. As Phone contacts. These are stored locally on the phone only and not synced.
3. As SIM contacts. Unlike 1+2 above, only names and one number per name can be stored. No addresses, email info, photos, etc.

Your contacts app can be set to display any or all of the above. If you see duplicates then you have those contacts saved in more than one place, for example as both 1+2, and your contacts app is set to display 1+2. So, you see duplicates. Changing the contacts app to display either 1 or 2 but not both eliminates the duplicate contact display.

See your phone manual for more details.

Best bet would be to save all contacts as Google contacts and eliminate phone and SIM contacts. Then additions/deletions/edits will always be saved and backed up to your Google account for easy restoration.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones