Too Many Pattern Attempts

1. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

My daughter decided to try and get in my sons phone (Captivate) and ended up locking him out. The phone now says "Too Many Pattern Attempts" and is asking for his google user name and password but when he enters that information it says invalid user name or password. He knows that the google username and password are correct as when he enters them in google mail on the comptuer it works fine. Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

Did he link that particular google account to his phone?
  3. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Is it the same google account info he setup when you first click on market?
  4. Terry S

Terry S Well-Known Member

Yes.. that is the only google account he has and he has been getting that gmail on his phone. I have tried removing the battery and putting it back obviously that does not work. I have also tried puttting in "null" as the password as I have read on the forums that that has worked for some. I called AT&T and they have no answers. They told me to try to call Samsung in the morning.
  5. sridroid

sridroid New Member

I had the same problem, the pattern lock screen does not recognize the gmail user and password. I tried it on my computer and gmail work fine. It must be a bug.
  6. kote1010

kote1010 New Member

I found a solution (specific to the Captivate unfortunately). I spent my whole Sunday looking for it and I couldn't find anything. And I didn't forget my pattern, but I was changing it when the screen timed out and poof, I couldn't get in. Sooo here is how I am still not going to the iPhone 4:
    Have someone call you, answer it and try to write a memo (it'll will take a few tries), from the memo screen you can pull down notifications and finagle your way back to the home screen (open browsers, apps and then go to home)
    Plug your phone into your pc and select the Kies option in the USB connect screen
    Turn off your phone
    Turn it back on and then tap (you need both hands) the menu and return buttons rapidly and more/ less simultaneously. This should bring you to your beloved home screen.
    (Optional: Back up all of your media onto your pc; I didn't have any, soo...)
    Immediately go to your location/security settings, you should be able to turn off the pattern function without having to enter the previous one.
    (Optional: Go to settings and then "sd card and phone", unmount the internal storage, format it. It should automatically remount itself)
    Go to Privacy settings and hit Factory data reset. I know, it sucks. But its the only way to free your phone from the Black Screen of Death.

Hope this helps!
    Jack45 likes this.
  7. purpl3an6el

purpl3an6el New Member

Kote1010: this works. tested with the captivate =D even for the "too many times attempted..."
  8. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

@kote1010

I missed seeing this post back in August. Incredible. The steps are so disjointed that I thought it was a joke and was waiting for a punch line at the end. Although I don't use a screen lock I can see where this will be of benefit to those who get locked out. Good work!
  9. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

The last step is a factory reset. Can't you just do that (powering up holding the volume keys, etc...) without the other stuff, other than maybe backing up your storage?
  10. redvettez06

redvettez06 Well-Known Member

I had to force reset my phone. Hold the volume up and down buttons and restart the phone and then delete all the caches and what not. It has worked flawlessly since but that sucked. I blame Samsung and ATT for not getting Froyo up and fixing the little bugs that have been plaguing people. I mean come on...isn't this the best selling Android handset? Let's get some of this stuff fixed.
  11. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

Screw the pattern thing..I for one will never use it. Its the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Why not a pin entry? This is an exaample of some geeks dreaming some stupidity for security and selling it to some dilbert in charge
  12. Annie_po_pannie

Annie_po_pannie New Member

A kid took my son's phone today and now we have the dreaded 'too many pattern attempts' screen. I have tried all of the suggestions on the various forums. kote1010, I have specifically tried that repeatedly. I also rebooted while holding down the volume keys, cleared the cache, wiped the user data clean, and I still have the gmail password prompt. We have changed his gmail password, and then changed it back to the original. I spent an hour harassing the people at the AT&T store. Short of a hammer, can anyone help me? AT&T wants us to send this NEW phone back for a reconditioned phone, which I am not willing to do at this point.
  13. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

only one thing i can think of,

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

that should fix it, very easy to do but the first time it can be tricky. all the instructions are there, shouldnt take long
  14. linsonjose

linsonjose New Member

try entering your username with @gmail.com suffix.....it just worked for me.....
  15. Manuelitoohno

Manuelitoohno Active Member

I changed my pattern for the hell of it and I didnt know it that well. i got it too then when prompt to enter my Gmail password and account. i did. with the @gmail.com

i knew i didnt mistyped my own password. Even after i put in my right credentials it told me "Login Not correct"

tried a second time doing the exact same thing and it worked. i think it is just a warning feature to type in the username twice.... who knows it just me maybe lloll
  16. fldude99

The "pattern" is REALLY easy to forget...unless its a complicated pattern (which is easy to forget) it just seems very easy to "crack". Does anyone really rely on this "security"?
  17. JoeMap

JoeMap Member

I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum :), someone said using the pattern unlock isn't secure. Anyone could take your phone, hold it up to the light and see where your fingers have been tracing a pattern around it.

True, if you've used it very much that pattern could be smudged by touching the screen but I wouldn't even think of using it. Sorry to hear of the bad luck but I appreciate the warning not to do it.

JoeMap
  18. funnnyguy

funnnyguy New Member

19. icy_kay

icy_kay New Member

kote1010 thank you dude for posting that work around. I called my droid, answered the call, clicked on menu, create memo and voila! I was on my home screen. But when I tried to remove pattern it kept asking me about previous pattern.. if only I remembered it, I wouldn't be in this situation.. After exhaustively trying to identify my pattern, I unmounted following your instructions. I got tired by that time and I restarted the phone, called it again and went to the home screen by doing the create memo.. The most annoying part is it would not even let me do a factory reset without providing the pattern.. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I clicked various options looks like I confused it enough to let me in without a pattern... This is a serious issue which needs to be resolved for captivate. I wish at&t pushes froyo, it drives me crazy because they don't upgrade OS... But any ways kudos dude...
    One more thing, I was able to back up my videos and photos using adb of droid SDK's pull command, so I had the freedom of clicking randomly... That makes me realize, data is not secure even after locking using a pattern, so why bother just turn it off.. phew! I m never going to do it again, learnt it the hard way..
  20. fldude99

Off topic..."push froyo"? What does that have to do with the subject of too many pattern attempts?
  21. Nusaybah

Nusaybah New Member

the 'too many pattern attempts' thing happened to me too.
    i entered my only google account i knew of, however when you type the first part of your e-mail address, the rest of it (the default) automatically comes up BUT when it came up for me it said 'google.com' rather than 'googlemail.com' so i had to manually type in the second part of my e-mail address. I think this is a mistake.
    So, if you're having this 'too many attempts' problem, just make sure that when you type it in that it says the right ending. Do not just assume that it's not accepting your username/password.. :)
  22. raisingachamp

raisingachamp New Member

I have a solution for this... will post soon. I have a Novo 7 Advanced. Great tablet for $155!
  23. raisingachamp

raisingachamp New Member

24. kote1010

kote1010 New Member

l haven't been here in a long time but I'm glad the fix worked for you all!