• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Too many texts. Crashes when deleting..

G8D

Android Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2009
Currently I have over 2700 texts in one thread and as a result the messages app is seriously slow. But when I try to delete them the messages app crashes/freezes and even after killing the task it does not sort itself so I am forced to reboot.

How the hell do I delete these!? Is there another way or do I need to wait for the next software update that I care about?

The lag is the least of the issues, I believe this is also causing SMS Popup to crash (now uninstalled) but I really love this app :(

Any help appreciated :)

Currently I have over 2700 texts in one thread and as a result the messages app is seriously slow. But when I try to delete them the messages app crashes/freezes and even after killing the task it does not sort itself so I am forced to reboot.

How the hell do I delete these!? Is there another way or do I need to wait for the next software update that I care about?

The lag is the least of the issues, I believe this is also causing SMS Popup to crash (now uninstalled) but I really love this app :(

Any help appreciated :)

Are you using the stock message app or something else?
Are you trying to delete one message or the whole thread?

I don't know if this will help, so don't do it, hopefully someone else will know the answer; would clearing the data in the application settings work?

Also, 2700 messages in one thread is most impressive.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help with your situation, but I found an app in the marketplace called "Super SMS Quick Delete" (developer name is Superdroid.net) that has worked well for deleting lots of texts. You can delete entire conversations at the top level, or (this is why I got it) it allows you to go into a conversation and place check marks on all the messages you want to get rid of and then remove them all with a single press of the "delete" button (as opposed to having to delete them all one by one). It also has a "select all" button to quickly check mark all messages within the conversation.

It is pretty simple and seems like a relatively light-weight app. All it does is delete, so maybe it would have an easier time handling the massive amount of texts you are dealing with. Hope it helps.

Reactions: LDDR
Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help with your situation, but I found an app in the marketplace called "Super SMS Quick Delete" (developer name is Superdroid.net) that has worked well for deleting lots of texts. You can delete entire conversations at the top level, or (this is why I got it) it allows you to go into a conversation and place check marks on all the messages you want to get rid of and then remove them all with a single press of the "delete" button (as opposed to having to delete them all one by one). It also has a "select all" button to quickly check mark all messages within the conversation.

It is pretty simple and seems like a relatively light-weight app. All it does is delete, so maybe it would have an easier time handling the massive amount of texts you are dealing with. Hope it helps.
Tried it, gave up with it.
It took a minute to delete like 4 texts.
I'll live with the lag (and without SMS Popup ;_; ) until 2.0 comes..

Upvote 0
Tried it, gave up with it.
It took a minute to delete like 4 texts.

wow! it has never taken that long to delete mine, but then I don't have anywhere near as many messages to manage as you do. Oh well, sorry to hear that. At least now I know not to count on it for that so I'll use that as incentive to keep a good handle on how many messages I've got.
Hope you can find a working solution.

Upvote 0
Hey.

In my messages I have a 1400+ between me and one person. The problem is there's so many that when I try and delete them all (because it's getting sluggish) it totally borks my phone and basically crashes. I could delete them 1 by 1 but it's extremely slow because of the amount of messages and would take forever. Is there another way to delete the messages?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm here with over 8000 messages in one thread...

Does anyone know exactly where the messages are saved? I've had a look in the .Mail folder, and it says there's 9000 items in there...I deleted about 3000 on my PC as a test, but the text message count didn't go down on the phone after a restart, so I assumed they're not text message files.

If anyone knows how to access the SMS directory via computer, that'd be really helpful!

Cheers all!

Upvote 0
Is that popup gonna be added in 2.0?

Or is there any way, to show only few messages (like 3 days history) and other will by archived - accesible only with some extra button? Like chompSMS or handascent has, but don't like any of those application - they dont have badge with unread messages and don't have that nice icon and user interface as the original app has..

Upvote 0
Oh, I havent read new features coming in 2.0.. Auto delete feature is nice thing but I would rather see option for archiving messages - maybe much more then autodelete. Like archive messages that are older then x days, display button in context menu "Show old messages" and then show them.. It can't even by that difficult to create, right? ;)

Upvote 0
Oh, I havent read new features coming in 2.0.. Auto delete feature is nice thing but I would rather see option for archiving messages - maybe much more then autodelete. Like archive messages that are older then x days, display button in context menu "Show old messages" and then show them.. It can't even by that difficult to create, right? ;)
Well in the mean time why not use SMS Backup.

That will backup your texts to your gmail account as if they were emails. Then you can delete them off your phone (but still access them via gmail).

Upvote 0
Argh I wish there was some solution! The only way I see to fix it is to install the ROM again and wipe them all, but that means you lose all contacts and apps and stuff, cba with the hassle :(, it's so ********, my old sony ericsson could delete loads of messages easily why can't this one!?

edit- how can ******** be censored?!

Upvote 0
Sooo i had the same problem. Nearly 2000 texts and for days it was driving me insane because of the lag it caused!! I found a way around it...sorta. It still will take time to delete but is faster than going one by one.

Download handcent, and click on the thread you wanna delete. Then once in, menu, then more, then batch mode. You can check up to 50 messages at a time and they delete within about a minute. Took me a little while to delete all 2k but lags gone and phone works up to speed again! And now I'll for surely delete texts every couple 100 until the bug is fixed...

Hope this helps!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones