Too scared to root lolGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jammychap

jammychap Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am really tempted to root my Hero but too damn scared to do it lol :(, I don't suppose anyone would do it for me that actually knows what they are doing ???????

I'm in Milton Keynes England.

Advertisement
  2. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

I was the same but I read through the guide at the top of the forum then read it again.. then went for it and it wasn't so bad at all now I'm loving trying all the different roms

3. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member

dont be scarred...if you dont like it you can always un-root which dont take long at all by a guide i have. i was abit hmmm about doing it but now i found a rom that works well without all the slowness n bugs. iam happy for now until the 2.2 update comes out, then ill un root.

4. midge37

midge37 Well-Known Member

I was going to bottle it and just wait, but read the forums here, and a couple of other places, read them again (as mentioned above) and then went for it. Was put off as it seemed such a long and complicated process, but once I started didn't take that long and was fairly easy to follow.

5. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

Nice one glad you done it

6. SammyC

SammyC Active Member

What UK network are you on?

7. jammychap

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol, i'm on orange uk.

8. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Orange is easier than most, because the downgrade process is straight forward.

9. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

As others have said, don't be scared. Just don't bother updating your Radio as this is really the only thing that can brick your phone if it goes wrong. And make sure you do a Nandriod backup first and copy it somewhere safe on your computer so you can always revert if you want to.

10. danny2001k

danny2001k Member

What means "brick your phone"? You wont be able do do nothing? It will be dead?

If you do a Nandriod backup, and the update of the radio goes wrong, can you revert to the last radio? Or the Nandroid backup doesn't include the radio?

And what do you gain by updating the radio? Cant you run a Custom 2.1 ROM without updating or doesn't your GPS work?

11. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Yes, that's what it means. It becomes essentially a brick., hense the term.

No the Nandriod backup only backs up the ROM and optionally your ext partition if you use APPS2SD, it's does not backup the radio.

The gain you get from updating the radio seems to vary from person to person but most people report better signal and better battery life with the latest radio (63.18.55.06JU_6.35.09.26).

It's not necessary to update the radio to install a 2.1 ROM. I didn't initially but decided to after a while and it did marginally increase my signal and battery life.

I would suggest as you are new to the whole rooting custom ROM lark, don't update the radio for now. You can always do it later on if you wish.

The most important thing to remember when doing a radio update is always check the MD5SUM is correct (Google MD5 for more info) before proceeding and DON'T INTERRUPT IT as this is what will brick your phone.
    If necessary leave the phone overnight, never pull the battery.

For the installation of a custom recovery partiton and custom ROM the chances of bricking the phone are minimal. In fact you have as much chance to brick it as you would with an official update. If the recovery partition update goes wrong you can still get into the ROM to re-flash it, if the ROM update goes wrong you can still get into the recovery partition to re-flash it. If the radio update goes wrong, you are screwed.

jammychap likes this.
  12. jammychap

Wow this post was a long time ago, I'm a rooting rom flashing addict now lol love it.