Too wide email and other questions

Last Updated:

1. csteele

csteele Member This Topic's Starter

New captivate owner and new Android user here. Had the phone 2 days.

I'm having an issue where my emails are twice as wide as my screen in the Gmail app. It won't allow me to double tap or pinch to zoom at all, it's just stuck like that and I have to scroll back and forth to read anything. Very annoying.

The stock email app does the same thing but I CAN pinch to zoom in that one at least. But I have to do it for every single email I read and then it's either too small or a bit too big. I can't get it to justify to the edges of my screen.

I'm a Gmail user so this was a big draw for me to this phone but this sucks. It's pretty sad when my Iphone displayed Gmail better than this Android one can. The guy at the ATT store said and I quote "Ummm, hmmm, that's odd. I have no idea."

I have looked through every setting I can find and there doesn't seem to be anything for screen size or justification. Please tell me this is not working as intended. Any ideas on how to fix this? It's going to drive me nuts to the point of returning the phone if I can't fix it. I read many emails every day and scrolling back and forth isn't going to cut it.

Also, one other question - I love how Gmail syncs my contacts automagically. That rocks! However, is there a way to sync from the phone to Gmail? Meaning can I sync all the contacts in my phone that were transferred over from my iphone to Gmail so I have numbers and such stored there? Many of the contacts in my phone are already in my contact list but with no phone number. Do I have to do that manually?

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

Advertisement
  2. csteele

csteele Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I just tried K9 mail after reading some positive reviews on that. Same deal. Only it's even worse because it has a feature where if you flick to the right or left it changes emails. As I was trying to scroll left and right to read my mail it kept changing mails on me.

Is this a problem with my phone? I can't imagine that all these email apps would default to a view twice as wide as my screen and make me zoom to see each one w/o scrolling.