Took the plunge and ROOTED!

Last Updated:

1. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm an admitted noob, but I CAN'T wait for 2.1 anymore. Now I just have to find a ROM I like....

My hands were sweating throughout the entire ordeal! :p

EDIT: OK, I have to confess that I un-rooted today. Firstly, I wanted to see if it was a easy as presented. (It was). My phone is exactly as is was prior to rooting. Secondly, I couldn't really find a custom ROM that I really, really liked (i.e. that had everything that I wanted) and that didn't seem overly complicated (i.e. too many options). Thirdly, and most importantly, I don't think I have good enough base knowledge to flash a custom ROM. There seems to be many different methods requiring various other files, updates, etc. There were some REALLY good step by step videos on You Tube (I'm talking to you, DroidReview) but some of the ROMS he used weren't ones that I had an interest in for one reason or another.

I wish there was a decent "foundational" guide (like a Dummies book for Android root users). There are guides out there, but they seem to be lacking the "Dummy" instructions (for example, one guide I saw didn't tell you that you had to UNPLUG your phone from your PC prior to booting to recovery).

I'm going to research, read and get educated on this before I attempt this again. I've learned lots so far, and a HUGE thank you to everyone that has posted guides, etc. and answered questions. You guys ROCK!

If anyone knows of any foundational publications that would help- shoot me a pm! Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side. :)

What did you use to root? If you're running SPRecovery, I'd vote for AdamZ's smoked glass 6.0.1 with his low voltage kernel.

You made the right move!

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Welcome to the rooted world! :D

My vote is Bugless Beast 0.8 (NOT 0.9), and Chevy's 5-slot kernel for overclocking to 1GHz. 5 screens, wifi tether and smooth as silk!

4. dfine06

dfine06 Well-Known Member

Simply Stunning new build.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

All the above are great suggestions. I would recommed trying out Koush's CyanogenMOD ROM which can be easily installed along with his Clockwork Recovery with a app in the market called "ROM Manager". Make sure to select Google addons and modules when installing a ROM and to also wipe cache/data and make a backup of existing. Also a good tip is either keep your Droid plugged in when doing this stuff OR have 60% battery or more.

aileendq likes this.
  6. Jakbob

Jakbob Well-Known Member

I just flashed to 0.9 since it is the latest. What's wrong with it V.V ?

7. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Would you recommend this for a first ROM? I'm having enough issues that I wouldn't put it on my wife's phone yet...just a thought. My vote would be Bugless Beast 0.8. I never ran it personally but everyone talks about how stable it is and 0.9 was a little buggy for me (not bad...but for a noob, it might be too much).

8. aileendq

aileendq Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It's between that and BB .09.

9. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

My vote would be BB...I'm about to update to .8 or .9 myself (from .6)...

I'll probably stick with that for a while after that, until there is a stable Desire and or Incredible Rom that comes out...

10. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

I started w/ BBeast and it's def a good place for noobs. I'm currently using BlackDroid's Ultimate 7.0 ROM (they were up to 7.8 last I checked, but I'll give the new ones a look-see). I absolutely love these ROMs.

Truth be told, there's so many to choose from. And the best part is, they're all great! BBeast is easy enough to learn the process, and one you get it down, then you can start trying out diff ones.

11. keepervq

keepervq Active Member

I agree with UBRocked. I've been running CM for a couple of weeks and if it was a first time rooter, I would surely suggest Pete's roms simply for ease of use and lack of bugs. I love Koush's rom and I don't see anyone not migrating over to it after playing the rom field..but to keep from scaring anyone off..Bugless Beast is a good safe bet.

12. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I haven't had any real problems with the Cyan ROM. The only bugs I had ended up being theme related. I suppose BB might be better for a first timer, but don't be scared to try CyanogenMOD.

13. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I had a bunch of BB builds. To be honest, they do not do nearly as well with my phone as the last setup of Smoked Glass has run.

I am trying out Koush's rom now, and I'm finding it to be not nearly as good on battery life.

14. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%.

15. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Once you get the hang of doing backups and flashing it is a piece of cake. All the above posts are correct. Try them all and then decide which suits you best.

16. markc2

markc2 Well-Known Member

I first rooted a couple days ago, went to BB .8 and upgraded to .9.
    .8 seemed buggy with lots of FC's but .9 seems to have stopped all that, seems stable and I'm overclocked to 1000. Sweet. Coming from an ATT tilt, which I thought was awsome but now find I was asleep.:)

17. Trapper31

Trapper31 Well-Known Member

I'll add my vote for AdamZ's Smoked Glass 6.0.1. The install process is a little more involved than the BB roms but it is super easy as long as you read a bit about first. You also have a few more adb shell commands after it's installed to get Maps to work correctly... So yeah, maybe Pete's BB roms are the best place to start for a first-timer. Smoked Glass is gorgeous though, and extremely stable and fast!

Look at all of these excellent choices! It was a good call to quit waiting for the official 2.1 release.

18. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Well-Known Member

Using UD 8.0 and clockwork recovery. you need to download rom manager (3.99) in the market. you also have to download the free version after you download the paid one.
    im gonna try out CyanMod rom too.