• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Took The Plunge! Nexus 7 vs. Laptop

cdougherty

Lurker
Jul 5, 2011
So after a lot of decision making I finally bought a Nexus 7. I bought my wife one for xmas and decided, "hey, if she's getting one, I want one too!" :D

My "hope" is that I can really use the Nexus as a possible (or a "good" laptop/desktop" replacement.

The screen size didn't really matter - I find the 7" to be fairly comfortable for what I hope to do. I'm hoping to get feedback on things you're doing/using the Nexus for that is similar.

Items:

I'd like to have some sort of input other than touch - keyboard/mouse combos? I use Box for cloud data -

Synching data (files) between PC, Samsung GS3 (on same wifi and/or mobile)

MS Office -

Synching bookmarks - I use IE 8/9 but use Chrome on my GS3. I'm aware that I can do that in Chrome - but is there something better?

Notes - taking notes on GS3 sych to Nexus - visa versa

Can I setup NFC on my GS3 so that when I tap the Nexus it will make my GS3 enable tethering?

Anyone else using their Nexus as a "laptop?" Any info you could share would be appreciated!

Sounds like the N7 experience is going well! :)
I have a Zagg Flex BT keyboard for my N7 and it works well, but I've found myself using my Chromebook even more now (at $250 it's a great deal).
There's a few cloud based services to sync files. Google Drive works great, as well as Dropbox.
I've no experience with IE9 but know that Chrome syncs quite well as you've seen.
For syncing notes, take a look at Evernote. It can sync between all your devices as well as your pc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote&hl=en
To enable tethering, you can do it with root or if you have the service setup with your provider. NFC isn't necessary for it.

Upvote 0
Here is a keyboard that looks pretty good: Amazon.com: Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Trackpad - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories I plan to get one.

For Browsers, Dolphin seems to be a good alternative. I have installed it but have not really used it a lot. I use Opera mobile too - mainly because I am used to Opera on the desktop.

For Office, I installed the free Kingsoft Office. That looks very good. Made already my first PowerPoint like presentation.

PS: I am a new Nexus user too (since 1 week) and I have no prior Android experience. But I am making progress on the steep learning curve. One application I really like is GrooveIP for free calling. That is handy for us because we are in the US only 6 months per year and therefore have no free calling plan. If you get it, have a look at my thread for the settings because I had some troubles at first and the settings are not obvious. http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/657423-echo-groove-ip.html

Upvote 0
For a keyboard i use my Apple Keyboard, its small and it works flawlessly.

Sync data, I use Google Drive and Dropbox, and Evernote.

Office documents, Kingsoft Office is the way to go

Browser, I am perfectly happy with chrome, it sync between all my devices. Haven't use IE since version 7, Firefox + firefox mobile is another option.

I am not sure if you can enable the Tethering with the NFC, but you can have a Shortcut on your Notification center (If you are rooted) to enable and disable at will with 1 click.

I don't really use it "as a laptop", but let's say that I find myself using my table more and more and my laptop less and less. my document editing on the table is almost none, everything else i do on my nexus and GS3

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input -

I'm not rooted nor do i plan to be on the GS3 or Nexus. What I would LIKE to do is, using NFC (or maybe tasker?) to have the Nexus initiate tethering to my GS3? So basically, I tap my Nexus to my GS3 and it puts my GS3 into tether? I have tethering enabled now that i'm on the share data from VZ.... Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input -

I'm not rooted nor do i plan to be on the GS3 or Nexus. What I would LIKE to do is, using NFC (or maybe tasker?) to have the Nexus initiate tethering to my GS3? So basically, I tap my Nexus to my GS3 and it puts my GS3 into tether? I have tethering enabled now that i'm on the share data from VZ.... Any thoughts?

for me I would probably go the tasker route. Your dilemma is for the 2 devices to recognize each other. Normally that means you need to have some minimal communications.

For me, when I get in my car my phone automatically launches poweramp and starts playing a song. I can achieve this because my phone has bluetooth enabled 24/7 (doesn't use much battery when inactive) and my car has bluetooth. So as soon as I'm in my car and the car is on my phone will see my car's BT and tasker kicks in. I imagine you can do something similar but your N7 would have to have wifi already on (wifi on my N7 is on 24/7 as well. :) )

Upvote 0
I have the same gs3 and n7 combo and I honestly haven't used my laptop in like 2 months. Havnt tried printing off either but I know its possible and as a replacement that would be my only concern. Tethering is pretty solid
. Im rooted on both devices and use free wifi tether app without fail. Havnt had success with the nfc but at the same time if i have one device i have the other and both support otg with a 32 gig thumdrive so moving stuff can always be done without concern for 4g or wifi. It should be understood that root is needed for a whole other world of super cool apps and functions. Merry Christmas and have fun.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oh, also, if you have a regular USB mouse, you can get a USB OTG cable, and connect the mouse to your Nexus with the USB OTG cable and it should work. It worked for me. I think you can do that with a USB keyboard too. I'll try that.

EDIT: My USB keyboard works too. Just search for USB OTG cable on Google, and it should come up with them. They are pretty cheap.

Upvote 0
Oh, also, if you have a regular USB mouse, you can get a USB OTG cable, and connect the mouse to your Nexus with the USB OTG cable and it should work. It worked for me. I think you can do that with a USB keyboard too. I'll try that.

EDIT: My USB keyboard works too. Just search for USB OTG cable on Google, and it should come up with them. They are pretty cheap.
And if you want to attach both mouse and keyboard, you get yourself a USB mini hub like this: Newegg.com - BELKIN F5U407 USB 2.0 4-Port Ultra Mini Hub

There are cheaper models too: Newegg.com - usb mini hub

Upvote 0
I use a Zagg Flex keyboard that is very good. I don't bother with a mouse. The Logitech keyboard looks nice but it's significantly bigger.

Also, I don't know if you can use NFC to enable tethering the way you want. What I did, instead, was I put an NFC sticker on my laptop and programmed it using NFC Task Launcher to A) turn on Wifi, B) turn on tethering, C) configure tethering to be a specifically known SSID that the laptop looks for.

You could do a similar thing with the N7, by putting an NFC sticker on the back of the tablet - you'd have to put it at the bottom to avoid interfering with the NFC reader on the N7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones