[TOOL][ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02 S-OFF

Last Updated:

1. o0RaidR0o

o0RaidR0o New Member This Topic's Starter

This guide is for those that have accepted the latest 2.2 OTA. zikronix an XDA senior member has put together the lastest files and how to root your EVO 4G with the hboot 2.02 s-on. I can personally testify after only having my EVO for two weeks, that this take you by the hand guide is awesome and it worked for when all others failed, or said it couldn't be done with 2.2 OTA.

This is the link: [ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02 S-OFF - Like a Boss Edition! - Updated 11/20/10 - xda-developers

I ultimately choose OMJ's EVO 2.2 FroYo v4.0 w/Sense UI: http://tinyurl.com/OMJ-s-Custom-ROM

READ THIS GUIDE CAREFULLY SEE POST TWO FOR FAQ

This works with the new OTA that just came out posted Here

UPDATE: THERE WAS AN ISSUE WITH THE RECOVERIES. WE HAD TO HAVE A BETA MADE AND TEST. USING ANY OTHER METHOD TO TURN S-OFF OR ANY OTHER RECOVERY COULD LEAVE YOU WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO FLASH A ROM

IM GOING TO REPEAT MYSELF FOR THE SLOW PEOPLE....USING ANY OTHER RECOVERY SUCH AS CLOCKWORK OR OTHER VERSIONS OF AMON_RA WILL NOT WORK. USING ANOTHER RECOVERY COULD COST YOU YOUR 4G RSA KEYS AND BREAK 4G PERMANENTLY. THIS IS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CODED FOR THE NEW PARTITIONS IF IT DOES ITS PURE LUCK!

Credit goes to:
    amoamare, and his thread here
    toast (thanks for your recovery and script)
    unrevoked (thanks for you app)
    amon_ra (thanks for your custom recovery)
    TrevE (Testing)
    Chubbzlou (Testing)

and who ever else I missed

Help me finance my Vette!
    zikronix

Disclaimer:
    I tested this on eight phones and it worked fine...but if it breaks your sh*t dont come cry to me about it...you knew the risks! No one here is responsible if you break, brick, set fire, punch, smash, stab, destroy, your self or your phone. The only person responsible is you! Just because it worked for me and others does not mean it will for you. Anytime you flash something its a risk.

Manual hack:
    ================================================== ====

V7.1
    Download Here: http://www.wackynoodle.com/hboot202-s_off-V71.zip
    MD5: d93e8666915686bbb30538d82f762d97

RECOVERY FIX FOR THOSE WHO CANT FLASH ROMS (THIS IS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE ABOVE AND IS FOR PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE ROOTED)
    NEW CUSTOM RECOVERY (AMON_RA): http://www.wackynoodle.com/PC36IMG_Recovery.zip

OPTIONAL:
    HBOOT Downgrade: http://tinyurl.com/2f63aoy READ THE RISK BELOW....THIS IS NOT NEEDED

Prerequsites:
    Extract to a folder of your choice. I recommend the root of C:\ into a folder of your choice or on the desktop. Make sure you have the drivers installed for your phone (recommend: SDK Drivers, unrevoked hboot drivers) and USB debugging is on. If possible master reset your phone. At the least reboot the damn thing. This was setup for people running windows, if you have access to it do it on a 32bit version. Use the adb.exe included with the package Oh and Read the FAQ and Warnings for f-sakes

1) Make sure usb debugging is on, and plug in your phone, DO NOT MOUNT USB
    2) Open a command prompt and change to where ever you extracted the files to.
    3) Type the following (this must be excuted from the folder you extracted to)

adb push root/unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/
    adb push root/mtd-eng.img /sdcard/
    adb push pc36img/PC36IMG-ENG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip
    adb push pc36img/PC36IMG-MR.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-MR.zip
    adb push root/flash_image /data/local/
    adb push root/rageagainstthecage /data/local/tmp

4) No Errors hopefully. Now lets change some permissions

adb shell
    chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
    chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
    sync

5) You shouldnt see any confirmations or any messages. Now its times for the magic....lets root that shell

adb shell
    ./data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage

6) It should kick you out and display some messages on the screen...just not errors. Lets double check that root! Type the following:

adb shell

7)You Should see a "#". This means you have root if you see a "$" or some other error message. Reboot your phone, check your drivers, usb debugging and cable and start over. If you got a "#" You can Proceed. You should still be in the shell at a "#" If not start over...Otherwise

./data/local/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

[​IMG] Now we are going to reboot your phone into the boot loader to flash the first PC36IMG.zip. You should still be in the shell So Type:

reboot bootloader

9) Once your phone is in the boot loader highlight bootloader, and press the power button. It will load the PC36IMG File...When it ask you to flash press VOL-UP. You will notice that it says bootloader bypassed and maybe some other errors. Dont worry this is normal. Once the flash of the file is done it will ask to reboot, Select NO by Pressing VOL-DOWN. Now some people have gotten some errors here and there during the flashing just continue as normal.

10) You should still be in the boot loader at this point. Scroll down to recovery and press the power button. When you see the red triangle. Type the following:

adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-ENG.zip
    adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG-MR.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip

11) Ok so that should have renamed the file for the next step. You should still be at the red triangle. Type the following:

adb push recovery /
    adb shell busybox --install /sbin
    adb shell nohup /sbin/recovery &

12) With any luck you should be at a recovery. Now Select flash zip and choose unrevoked-forever.zip. Wait for it to complete. Select Reboot from the menu

Now pay attention. It might kick you back into the boot loader. If It does see 12A if not Go to step 12B

12A) Ok so you got kicked to the boot loader. It should scan your card and find the pc36img.zip chose yes to flash this file and when it ask you to reboot....reboot by pressing vol-up....Proceed to step 13

12B) Ok so the phone booted into a rom. Power the phone off. Then repower the phone on pressing power and vol-down at the same time. It should take you into the bootloader and scan your card and find the pc36img.zip chose yes to flash this file and when it ask you to reboot....reboot by pressing vol-up....Proceed to step 13

13) Ok your phone is rooted now, and you should be inside the rom. The rom you just flashed is the stock unrooted rom with the modified recovery. Download a rom of your choice copy it to the root of your sd card and flash it. But type the following first

adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-MR.zip
    adb reboot recovery

14) You Should be in the recovery menu now (green text screen). Do a backup by navigating the menu. Once thats done, follow the on screen instructions and reboot or flash a rom of your choice. Reboot. If you flashed a custom rom cool. If not no big deal eitherway. Do a PRL/Profile update while in the rom after the phone is done rebooting. Your Done.

15) Read the FAQ for questions

Advertisement
    mdizzle99 likes this.
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

PROCEED WITH CAUTION

This is easy stuff if you pay attention...but more and more people are hacking up their phones trying to root this new hboot setup

3. krypticide

krypticide Member

Thanks! Still hoping a simple one-stop solution to rooting the new hardware 0004's comes up soon.

4. canon3133

canon3133 Member

I rooted my EVO following this guide last week, a big thanks goes to zikronix

5. bizarrogreg

bizarrogreg Well-Known Member

I have tried these steps multiple times, but my phone keeps getting hung up at the point where it is supposed to push the img files to the phone. Any ideas?

6. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

Just did this on an EVO I bought last week. Worked like a chamr. A couple suggestions to those who have had trouble.

Turn airplane mode on. I was getting texts and I am almost certain that was messing things up. As soon as I tried again with airplane mode on, everything was fine.

Use a 32 bit OS. 64 bit did not work for me. Luckily my girlfriend's laptop is running 32 bit vista!

7. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

What, exactly, is happening?

8. primusdrgn

primusdrgn New Member

I've done this and my phone had a radio_v2 error now i'm stuck with a red arrow and my phone wont start (ARGH) .. and i also had a problem moving the PC36IMG-ENG AND MR files.. they're not included in the dir or zip where can i find those?

9. bizarrogreg

bizarrogreg Well-Known Member

When in the cmd window, I copy the commands, but when it gets to the cmd to push the 2 img files, it just stops completely. I left it sit for 20 minutes just to see if the push was taking a while, but it never went through.

10. Badboy8813

Badboy8813 Member

i followed these steps and it worked GREAT for me!... thanks

11. vacuumbrand

vacuumbrand New Member

I've tried this method multiple times and keep getting stuck around step 10. I used a laptop running 32-bit Windows 7 but every time I get to that point, my drivers change and the computer won't recognize the device, so it won't go into recovery mode like it should (i.e. no red triangle), it just stays on the opening Evo screen. :confused:
    If anyone here could point me in the right direction or post some drivers or something to help me out you would be my superhero.

12. rebowling

rebowling New Member

I am also stuck on step 10. It seems that my PC can't talk to my phone anymore, but I'm not sure. When I try this at the red triangle screen:

adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-ENG.zip

I get this:

C:\>adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/PC36IMG-ENG.zip
    - exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

Help! Please! I'm scared I have ruined my phone!

13. YamiR6

YamiR6 Well-Known Member

Seems like this method is pretty hard. Is there a Youtube how to of to do it? I wouldn't mind trying it just dont want to brick the phone and have to get it replaced.