• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tool to unlink multiple contacts

tamanaco

Feb 3, 2010
Is there a tool or a way within Android to select and unlink multiple contacts? I've been syncing my Captivate using Kies for while, but after a Kies software upgrade I had to reload the drivers (using Kies) as the Captivate was not connecting. After the driver reload I was able to sync my contacts, but I ended up with duplicates of all my contacts under the "Unassigned" group. I can not delete these duplicates under this group because they're linked to the duplicate contacts that I had already assigned to specific groups. If I delete any contact in the "Unassigned" group it also deletes the contact I want to keep under its respective group. I have over 1,500 contacts so unlinking one by one is very time consuming and not practical.

Any suggestions?

Delete everything and sync again.

Thanks, but this isn't practical either. It took quite some time to put all my 1,500 + contacts in groups. As you know, groups do not correlate to categories in Outlook, so I had to put them in groups one by one.

I figured that a tool to unlink multiple contacts already existed given that Android links the contacts by default and without giving the user the opportunity to change this behavior. It' just turning off/on a flag somewhere in the contacts db. A tool to do it in batch is what's needed. I'll post in the XDA forum to see if I get any hits there.

Upvote 0
First sync your contacts with your Gmail account. Then under 'settings' 'Accounts and sync' select your gmail account and remove it. Disable 'Background data' and 'Auto-sync'.

Now go to contacts and select 'Groups'. You should ONLY have the 'Not Assigned' visible. If you have other accounts listed, then remove them from the 'Accounts and sync' menu as described above.

Only after you have the 'Not Assigned' group visible in your contact groups, download and install 'Contact Remover' from the 'market' and remove ALL contacts.

Verify that there are no more contacts in the device.

You can manipulate your contacts in your Gmail account and when you are satisfied, go to the 'Accounts and sync' and add the gmail account.

Enable 'Background data' and 'Auto-sync'.

Sync, and you are up and running!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones