• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Top 5 Apps To Help Break In An iPhone Switcher

djwoody249

Lurker
Nov 17, 2011
Hi, got my Nexus yesterday and so far liking what I see.

I've been an iPhone user since day 1 but was a bit let down by the 4s so have decided to try the Nexus & Android.

Was hoping for a little advice from the Android / Nexus community.
If you feel inclined to reply to this post, could you please detail your top 5 essential apps that you think I should have that would make my transition smooth.

Doesn't really matter what category they are in - just what you would recommend a newbie have to get the full out of the phone & OS.
I don't really want to 'root' my phone so nothing that would require that.

Many thanks in advance for your help / advice and I hope that I'm still liking the experience in a week or two and the phone isn't on eBay !!

Beautiful Widgets for sure. Excellent. and I agree with customization being a key feature.

Widgetlocker is one for me. Although I will have to try out the new ICS lockscreen for awhile.

Lookout is excellent for security.

I would say a launcher for more customization. ADW is a nice one. I need to look into this though, been awhile since I've done my research on which is best.

Then it all depends on what you want out of your phone.

Upvote 0
Google Music, Beautiful or Fancy Widget, Jeannie and SVOX TTS, then it would vary depending on your interests such as NFL Mobile, NHL Gamecenter, Google Shopper, Tiny Tower(Game). There is a lot of them but I really don't think any of them are much different than iPhone apps. It would help if you said your top 5 iPhone apps then we could say the corresponding apps for Android.

Upvote 0
Widgets = apple apps?

Not quite. apps=apps
widgets are like your dashboard widgets (on iMacs/MacBooks) in that they are miniaturized snippits of info (from their respective full app or the web) that can update either manually or auto-magically, and be pinned to your desktop (home screen). IMO they are the best feature of Android, and they cut my full app use-need at least in half. I can check the weather, read emails/texts, check my calendar, view a regional weather map (widget with the Weatherbug app), check Google+/Facebook/Twitter's latest post, post to Google+/Facebook/Twitter, etc. all on my desktop (home screen) without opening an app. It's fantabulous.

Upvote 0
the number one app to have, of all time ever:
SlideMe Market, its the only way to get the official "-oid" emulators. just search for "Yongzh" (the developer name) and youll find them all, free except for n64. youll never need another game app again when you have 15 consoles in your pocket :D google how to get ROMs and BIOS files, as asking for them is illegal ;)

Google Music FOR SURE, its so convenient.
Amazon App Store- free app of the day is awesome every once and a while.
Forum Runner for your forum needs.

Upvote 0
I like
Beautiful Widgets (to echo several other members- great for clock and wether)
Handcent for SMS
GO Launcher EX for a homescreen replacement
GO Locker for Lockscreen replacement

Once I can order the Galaxy Nexus, I'll probably use the stock launcher for a while. I've used Launcer Pro and Go Launcher. I found LP got to be too buggy with too many force closes but have found that GO seems to only get better with each update.I've not used ADW, so I cannot comment on that one.

I have also used Widget Locker as a lockscreen replacement, and in my experience it made my phone very laggy and it seemed to be very battery intensive. Go Locker seems to stay quick with minimal affect on the battery (though Go Locker is nowhere near as customizable as WL).

FYI, I'm on a rooted Droid X, though I am on stock Gingerbread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones