• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Top killers of battery life

I saw your post and it made me think, what is good battery life to you?

On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being heavy, how heavy a user do you consider yourself?

Thanks.

I'll blink first. ;)

I consider myself maybe a 4, and I am lucky to get 12 hours out of it. No You Tube, No music (streaming or otherwise). Only web surfing, 3-4 texts, 10 minutes of calls, download an app or two. I had ATK, made a difference for 1 day, then back to crappy battery life. I just don't understand the folks saying they played games, You Tube, Pandora, etc for hours AND it lasts them over 20 hours. Something is wrong here. :(

Upvote 0
I just had an issue with my battery last night. Something kept my phone awake and did a full drain. I wish I knew what caused it, but the last thing I did was use the Facebook app though it is set to manual refresh.

I don't know if they fixed it yet but that new FB apps has been verified to drain your battery. I heard there was a new update but haven't looked my self.

Upvote 0
I took off a bunch of widgets that were news like last night. You know the can that have news updates or read forums and my battery is better than it has been , I've been unplugged for over 2 hours and its still at 100% Normally I get a 10% drop with in 10 minutes of unplugging it but not today.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's not much screen on time I bet. Do you do anything other than make a few phone calls?

Text like crazy, surf a little, dload apps....

I am fairly anal about hitting the power button to turn off the display as soon as I am done with the phone whether it be a call or txting.

Current reading...
30% battery life
1d 11h 13m 48s since unplugged

Voice Calls = 64%
Display = 21%
Cell Standby = 12%
Phone Idle = 4%

Upvote 0
Phone calls! I find that each minute of a phone call drains approx. 1% of battery life. This means that you can get 100 minutes of phone calls max, if you use nothing else on the phone. A far cry from the 8 hrs of talk time promoted by Motorola.

I had a 4 hour phone call with the display off and was left with about 1/3 of my battery at the end. You're battery may be defective.

Upvote 0
It has been 29hours since last plugged in.
My status is showing 60% battery life left.

Usage is mainly phone calls (56%)
with display being the next largest (22%)
Standby and Idle closed out the list.

I was getting avg of 24-26 hours and it needing to be recharged.

The other day I was in a locale when the power went out and I used my X to play youtube videos to keep my daughter occupied.

Needless to say I ran the battery down so far it was literally crying to be plugged in. Usually when it 1st asks to be plugged in I do so. This time I ran it way past that mark.

Charged it both in a vehicle charger and off the usb on my comp once I got home.

Now that charge has lasted since that epsiode as listed above.

OK, seriously, how is this done!? I haven't even DONE anything with mine today. Unplugged for 5 hours, it's already 50%. GRR!!

Upvote 0
How much voice call time do you have?

Here is my current information: 40% remaining
6 hours since unplugged
57% display (40 min on)
25% voice calls (4 min 46 sec)
18% Cell Standby (2% without signal)
Phone idle 2%

So now wait a second... this would calculate to mean 15% of my battery is lost due to a call under 5 minutes. WHAT? Is this true?? My phone can't last for more than a 45 minute call? Something has to be wrong.....

Upvote 0
How much voice call time do you have?

Here is my current information: 40% remaining
6 hours since unplugged
57% display (40 min on)
25% voice calls (4 min 46 sec)
18% Cell Standby (2% without signal)
Phone idle 2%

So now wait a second... this would calculate to mean 15% of my battery is lost due to a call under 5 minutes. WHAT? Is this true?? My phone can't last for more than a 45 minute call? Something has to be wrong.....

I had a day like that and started tracking things and it seemed like handcent was not playing well with something. I changed to chomp and have not had the problem since.
So it is something that is running in the background while on the phone but is counting against voice call usage. I was very perplexed by it.

Upvote 0
I had a day like that and started tracking things and it seemed like handcent was not playing well with something. I changed to chomp and have not had the problem since.
So it is something that is running in the background while on the phone but is counting against voice call usage. I was very perplexed by it.

Agreed. There's definitely a leak somewhere. You'll have see what apps are constantly running and check the settings for each one of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones