Top MUST HAVE apps for the S3General

Last Updated:

1. RickyDavis1051

RickyDavis1051 Well-Known Member

Hey guys what are your top MUST HAVE applications for the Samsung Galaxy S3? Sorry this is my first post!

Mariociri likes this.
  2. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums !! I'd ask your question here : Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android Forums , as this section is just for introductions. Glad to have ya & I'll see you over there.
  3. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Thread was moved over from Introductions.
  4. KevSmileTime

KevSmileTime Active Member

Swype Beta or Swiftkey. The stock keyboard seriously sucks.
  5. JiggyFly2o89

JiggyFly2o89 Active Member

Flipboard has all of the news you want in one app and 500px for inspiration if you're a photographer like me!
  6. pseudoware

pseudoware Well-Known Member

ROM Manager & Titanium Backup
  7. tolisHD

tolisHD Member

I bought Swiftkey. A great keyboard, predicts what you want to type before even typing it!
    I also use iMediaShare Lite, Dolphin browser HD, Zedge(for new ringtones), Smart Office 2 and the Elixir Widget 2(the best free widgets/shortcuts for me).
  8. kkudi

kkudi Well-Known Member

havent tried SwiftKey - quite happy with the stock keyboard....swipepad works well for me....although any brightness widgets you have...they will stop working!
  9. mattc89

mattc89 Member

10. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Well-Known Member

what i don't like about swift key is that it would not work everywhere i typed. Say on this forum replying in this box, or in google or so forth..
  11. mikes1

mikes1 Well-Known Member

I tried that swift key once, i really hated it. I'm fine with the stock keyboard to be honest. It is a bit slow sometimes but the trace works nicely for me and it learned all my words by now so I have no real issues with it. And coming from a Droid X and Fascinate whose stock gingerbread keyboards constantly made my phone freeze, I'm quite happy with the stock S3 keyboard
  12. Hogan773

Hogan773 Well-Known Member

Swiftkey 3 is incredible, really.

This will be the FIRST PAID APP I've ever bought (once my 30 day trial comes up soon). The stock Samsung keyboard is fine IF you turn OFF the predictive text. Then it's just a normal keyboard where you need to be very careful with hitting the correct keys. You'll be doing lots of backspaces!

The Swiftkey you could type GWLKP and when you hit the space bar it will magically turn into HELLO. Now I can almost (ALMOST) type as fast on my GS3 as on my Blackberry. No, it's not perfect but it's a heck of a lot better than the stock keyboard. It has a 30 day free trial. For me it was like night and day. I was skeptical too! (no, I am not a paid shill)

Other apps I like:

GAS BUDDY (often I can save 10-30 cents a gallon in the same area)

RAINDAR (great FREE weather radar - I've tried lots of them and I like this one the best)

FLIXSTER (for local movie times)

KAYAK (for hotel searches etc)

TANGO (for video calling - until Skype gets its sh&t together because Skype video calling doesn't seem to work on the Galaxy SIII - but why should they's only the MOST POPULAR PHONE RIGHT NOW and selling tens of millions of units....maybe their devs should quit playing World of Warcraft and release a new version of the app that actually works on our phone)

GPS TEST (free app that shows which satellites you're locking, your accuracy, time to lock, etc)
    woj666 likes this.
  13. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

Everyone has been recommending SwiftKey3, but I never was a fan, but I do highly recommend the stock jellybean launcher

Also if you don't like touchwiz, I find Nova launcher the best replacement.

Probably my favorite app is WidgetLocker, since I do not like the lockscreen that comes on the phone. This allows you to change it, no rooting needed. I've always been a fan of the stock android lockscreens so this has been one of my favorites for a very long time
  14. maverick777

maverick777 Well-Known Member

Apex Launcher
    The best launcher for Android 4.0+. It's fast and it's customizable.

Smart App Protector
    Allows you to require a password for certain apps and allows you to control the time of days it's required. For example locking down email, SMS, etc during the work day.

Allows you to keep the screen on when in certain apps. Better than Smart Stay since it works in the dark. Keeps the screen on for browsers, emails, forum apps, news apps, etc.

Allows you to block auto screen rotation for certain apps if you like keeping that feature on.

Widget Locker
    Custom lock screens. Gives you a lot of options for customization.

Light Flow
    Once it's updated. The developer has an AT&T S3 now and will update the app to properly control the LED in the US version.

Best music player on the market. Using the ICS skin.

MX Video Player
    Best video player

Much better than the stock gallery app

ES File Explorer
    Best file browser. It's free and even has access to the root directory if you're rooted.

Go SMS Pro
    My favorite SMS app. I like it better than Handcent. Using it with Smooth ICS skin.

Syncs with Google Tasks. Looks and works great.

Genie Widget
    The Jelly Bean version of the Genie Widget which is transparent. Looks great!

Swype Beta
    The best phone keyboard. I have Swiftkey 3 installed as well, but I never use it.

Must have auto brightness control app. It lets you go into the negatives (it applies a black filter to the display to make it look dimmer). AMOLED screens are too bright even on the lowest settings when you're in a completely dark environment like in your car at night or in a movie theater. This app lets you fine tune the brightness settings based on your preference.
    rjtim, Krunk83, ericpanda999 and 2 others like this.
  15. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

You could try Go Keyboard or Go SMS.
  16. Funnyusername

Funnyusername Well-Known Member

Swiftkey 3 (Swiftkey gets better over time. Because it learns to predict words you type often)
    Beautiful Widgets
    Go SMS Pro ( a must if you hate when your screen turns on for every text )
    Or handcent
    Google Drive
    Phone info
  17. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Beautiful Widgets
    MLB at Bat 12
    Mini Flashlight
    Fast Reboot
    History Eraser
    Tune In Radio
    Sound Hound or Shazaam
    ESPN's Scorecenter

Dead Trigger
    Guns N Glory
    Temple Run
    NBA Jam
  18. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I would recommend against ROM Manager on any Samsung Phone. There have been numerous problems with ROM Manager and custom recovery (in case you were considering rooting your phone.)
    Metroid Prime and CafeKampuchia like this.
  19. Our app, Magic Keyboard, is popular on S2 and S3. As they have lots of RAM the word prediction and correction is at its best (the RAM means we can load large dictionaries).
  20. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Well-Known Member

I use slide it. Works great!
  21. pseudoware

pseudoware Well-Known Member

I have no problem flashing CWM Recovery w/RM, if that's what you mean. FWIW, RM "officially supports" all GS3 variants. Of course, I'll tread carefully and look for a track record. Still on stock ROM, sans bloatware.
  22. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

I will go ahead and agree with this. ROM manager is no longer needed, and usually causes more problems than it helps. I know on the galaxy S2 almost every dev would specifically say not to use ROM manager. And after recently started with the ROMs for the S3, I find no reason at all to use ROM manager
  23. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

On any phone. The app has bricked a good number of HTC phones too.
  24. StuDaddy

StuDaddy Active Member

I prefer ThumbKey for keyboard replacement.

25. smguy101

smguy101 Well-Known Member

I was unhappy with the default "swype" t9 on the default Samsung keyboard. You need to be alot more so I went ahead and downloaded the Swype beta keyboard off the Swype website since I was already used to swype from my Bionic and Droid Charge. Swype beta is a pretty good keyboard, although I have never tried swiftkey yet