"Topless" Womens Rights?

Last Updated:

1. WAdude

WAdude Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Men Wear Bras So Women Can Go Topless

What do you think?

Women for the group GoTopless, are fighting for womens right to be able to go topless, and it be legal.

Note:the women in the video presented by TIME Magazine are wearing "nipple covers"

Advertisement
  2. Crude

Crude Well-Known Member

3. hakr100

hakr100 Well-Known Member

There should be minimal standards for women who want to walk around topless.

4. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Thankfully I come from a place where it never occurred to anybody to make it illegal.

I'm looking forward to hearing somebody come up with a reason why there's anything wrong with toplessness.

5. smacky

smacky Banned

What's gonna happen when groping and all that jazz increases? But sure, if we wanna run around like it's a rural African village, go for it. I think it'll cause more problems than it will fix and the wrong people will be running around topless and it will be hell.

6. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

You prosecute those doing the groping, assuming it's not consensual.

7. smacky

smacky Banned

So let the damage happen first and then fix it?

8. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

That's one way of putting it; another would be innocent until proven guilty.

I would hope that people would be grown-up enough to be able to control themselves when faced with a topless woman; but I guess I'm talking from a European perspective.

9. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

IIRC here in New York State being topless in public is legal. however, individual locales are also allowed to restrict that, so for example businesses, government and private institutions can have a dress code. I don't know whether localities can restrict that further or not. In a great many NY beaches topless sunbathing is a common sight, and there is quite a few others that are simply clothing optional without restricting any form of access to the beach.

10. smacky

smacky Banned

I'll reiterate this: the wrong people will take advantage of this. It's like a nude beach where they're supposedly full of old people and people that probably shouldn't be naked.

For the kids' sake, everyone should be wearing something, both top and bottom.

Also, indecent exposure laws would go to shits.

11. Isthmus

I found a very interesting set of summaries of different states views on legal topless nudity:

12. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

Toplessness is only looked at negatively now in the US because its been demonized by the media and religion. And those people your worried about going around groping people, are more than likely going to be the same people who go to a strip joint and do the same thing. Honestly I think it would be an odd adjustment for a while but sooner than later it would become the normal. just go to your local mall and see how many preteens walk around with half their ass and breasts hanging out.

13. Isthmus

BTW, also don't forget that it is illegal anywhere in this country to prevent a woman from exposing her breasts in public for the purpose of breast feeding a child.

14. smacky

smacky Banned

Well, she better have enough for all of us then.

15. Isthmus

and here I thought we were trying to have an adult discussion.

16. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

All that's going to happen is a load of women are going to start being topless just because they can. It'll take a while before the novelty wears off.

I don't want to see an old leathery woman walking down the road topless any more than the average bloke doing it. I'm sure I'd get the same kick from seeing young topless girls as the girls do seeing a young topless man waltzing past them on a hot day.

17. smacky

smacky Banned

Oh man. If being an adult means I can't crack a joke, then I don't want to grow up. :rolleyes:

18. hakr100

hakr100 Well-Known Member

I intend to be nominated as Federal Boob Inspector, to set standards and determine which ones meet them.

19. Isthmus

This thread reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George's dad starts wearing a Mansier/Bro. :D

20. ZDroid1

ZDroid1 Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, why is public nudity in general illegal?

The idea of banning nudity (full or partial) to protect men from the temptation and women from groping is the same argument used by Muslim fundamentalists to justify the hijab or the veil. I'm sure if exposing women's hair were to become legal in Saudi Arabia, many there would argue that men aren't used to it and it would threaten the social peace and balance.

21. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

Am I the only one that finds strange the fact that they are giving out t-shirts to promote topless rights? :D

22. smacky

smacky Banned

Sure, it's all socially constructed, but then why do we have to wear clothes at all? When you go see your doctor, you'll see him naked. When you get your food from McDonald's, "oops, my dick may have dipped into your BBQ sauce and I may have rubbed your burger against my scrotum and/or breasts."

At what point is toplessness NOT ok? That's what we need to figure out.

Someone said to incriminate those that grope the women? Right. It curtails the chances, but it doesn't eliminate it.

Sure, let women go topless. I'm sure after a few cases, women will go ahead and leave their clothes on and the law will really just apply to the group that no one really cares for and is not interested in.

I wanna bring rape into this, how it could increase the chances, but I think just saying it is enough to get you guys to think about it. There are repercussions for rape. It still happens. Is it really fair to let some women experience groping/rape as a result of this law?

And as a guy, yes, it would be a distraction if everyone walked around butt-naked as if we were in Ethiopia. I think nakedness in public is a display of poverty. I think it adds a sense of civility.

And again, I'm saying this for both male and female. And those weirdos in between.

23. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

it would be their decision to go topless, so they would be taking that risk. I think if someone would rape a woman, they would do it regardless of if she happened to be topless at the time. Are you suggesting "impulse-raping"? haha it's kind of like how in ohio we have a law allowing concealed carry, but most businesses and all banks don't allow guns inside. It's only keeping out the good guys with guns. A bank robber isnt going to walk up and say "oh shit guys they have a sign up that says we can't bring our guns in! damn, guess the heist is off, we could get in trouble!" :D

24. smacky

smacky Banned

I dunno. I just think a lot more people would get in trouble for groping than if they had clothes on. I think it's human nature to wanna hump something naked that they like. Do you not think there would be a slippery slope? Now no pants? Everytime a girl I like walks by I'll just whip it out and let her know I like it.

It goes both ways. Girls aren't as amused by male nudity, or it certainly doesn't seem so. They wouldn't like to see that.

I'm thinking for both sides here. For it causing a problem for both sides. To tell men to "control" themselves is unfair and seems almost like a "one step forward, one step backward" situation. We're allowing women to be more "natural" in dressing, but we're suppressing the "natural" instinct of men for when they see a naked woman. Not rape. No. But don't you think women would be creeped out by the stares they get by SOME of the people? Then they'll complain that people staring are stifling their freedom to be naked.

It seems like a slippery slope and I think it could end up being one of two things. A slippery slope or it'll eventually lose its novelty and equilibriate over time. Slippery slope is what I mentioned above and the latter would be women will realize guys don't do it flaunt the fact they can do it. It's hot? Is that the reason? If it prevents the aforementioned problems, just make it so you have to be clothed when in public, save for the beach, pools, etc. The way it is now.

25. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

Rubbish.

Everybody should be allowed the freedom of nudity, not just women. And likewise everybody will be allowed the freedom to observe said nakedness.

It boils done to being reasonable. In some food preparation areas people have to wear hairnets for hygiene, we don't make everybody wear hairnets everywhere; so any concern about a breast touching your burger is moot.

I was in Barcelona not that long ago, and there was a naked guy walking matter-of-factly down the main street, and not an eyebrow was raised.