Torn between Defender and Commuter - Commuter owners please enlighten!Accessories

Last Updated:

1. Amiroquai

Amiroquai Member This Topic's Starter

I got my Defender a few days ago and found it to be a bit too bulky for my taste. I never used it and put it aside in case I wanted to return it.
    I then ordered the Commuter and was disappointed with the fit.
    So now I have both put aside until I make up my mind and send one back!

I'm loving the port covers and that's why I opted for the Otterbox.
    The Port covers on the Defender fit really well and so does the case in general.
    I'm disappointed with the Commuter's port covers, as they don't stay in as well as the Defender, and provide bad feedback when trying to plug them in.
    Also, the area above the hard buttons on the Commuter seems like a lint death trap, the silicone is too flimsy and the fact that it has no holster (meant to be carried in pocket) makes me even more paranoid.

I'd love to hear opinions of people who are actually using their Commuter, regarding the fit of the port covers in real life and lint/dust sneaking in from the silicon area over the hard buttons.

AHHH decisions decisions

Advertisement
    WishinItWas likes this.
  2. Daisy 53

Daisy 53 Active Member

My commuter fits just fine, no issues with any of the port covers...
    Lint collection is minimal in my experience. All in all, I'm very happy with the case!

Daisy

3. Kiri

Kiri Well-Known Member

wow I have the exact opposite reactions as Daisy. My commuter attracts a large amount of lint and the ports are quite flimsy. The 3.5mm cover does not sit level unless you modify it somehow by trimming. The cover over the hdmi and charger ports sits somewhat flush but is easily unplugged whenever you pull the case out of your pocket.

I've strongly considered simply cutting off both of those flaps to make the case less annoying and tolerable under daily use. I agree that the flap above the buttons is a huge lint magnet but have not had issues with lint going underneath the silicone.

I will say however that the commuter does an excellent job at keeping the Droid x slim and pocketable. The hardshell back is quite smooth and the occasional exposure of silicone provides sufficient grip to the phone.

It would have been my perfect case had the silicone not attracted so much lint and had the covers been more securely made.

I'm currently using a simple hardshell cover now

4. thirteen113

thirteen113 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat with my commuter, the silicone layer has a pretty poor fit for a $35 case. I've thought about cutting them off too. Seems dumb that I would need to do that though.

I'm glad to hear Daisy had some luck, an exchange could fix my problems.

5. SLKStang

SLKStang Member

Thats pretty funny. I actually DID cut off the flaps the first minute that I had the Commuter case on my phone. Its bad enough that I can't use a mount with the case, but to make it more difficult to charge and plug in my headphones, forget it. Sliced both tabs off and never looked back.

I agree that it collects some lint, but really, not enough to be a bother to me.

6. VZ4G3NT

VZ4G3NT Member

Defender has this valley for the hard keys which I don't like. I have the commuter on right now but I'm thinking of going back to Body Glove for the grip factor. Commuter is too slippery and I like to prop my phone up to watch movies/play games on.

7. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

The Commuter is def. slippery because of the molded plastic back. On the other hand, I like that molded plastic look and wish the front were the same (like the pictures on their website appear). The silicone also does attract some dust/lint. However, I prefer that to the fingerprints that my Verizon silicone case attracted (even though THAT case wasn't slippery). The buttons are fairly easy to press with this case (with the ones on front being slightly more difficult). Mine fits well. But it's a little hassle to get off/on for battery pulls. Fortunately, I don't have to do that very often. Probably the defender is more of a pain in that area.

I'm reasonably happy with this, and would prefer the slippery plastic back to the all-silicone outer encasing of the Defender IMO.

8. ballisticn8

ballisticn8 Well-Known Member

just ordered the commuter on amazon for $19.95, lol, until then got a POS vzw case sitting on it that I will take back as soon as the commuter gets in.

I looked at the trident cases, the incipio cases, and the otterbox cases and went with the commuter for less bulk than trident but more protection than the incipio offered.

I'll post screens and my personal review of the case when I get it.

9. VmaxEngage

VmaxEngage Active Member

Returned my defender for the commuter, way happier. Defender was way to bulky, and collected more lint IMO