Toss the iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S3??General

1. MissPammyJ

MissPammyJ New Member

I've had an iPhone for quite a while now...started with the 4S and now I have the 5. I'm an Apple user...MacBook Pro, iPod, iPad Mini and the 5.

However...I am MEGA bored with the iPhone 5. I love Apple but being a what I consider "tech savvy" girl, I like customization. My phone is everything...I keep my life in the phone, so I want to be able to make it look like I want.

So now I'm thinking of dumping my iPhone 5 for the Galaxy S3.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
    :
  2. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

On a side note, I find you saying that you "like customization" and your list of all apple products a contradiction.

But to be honest, you live in an apple world and all the apple products will get along with each other nicely. Which would make adding an Android item into your universe somewhat awkward.

Since you are looking at changing only one item and you appear to be a gadget person.....if you can afford to add the S3 into your mix and use it and try it exclusively for a bit would be best. Hold on to the 5 until you make a decision. Then you can sell the 5 if you prefer the S3. Or sell the S3 if you want to go back to the 5. Either phone would not lose a significant amount of value during the trial period.
  3. DROZ

DROZ Well-Known Member

The iphone has great resale value, so I'd go for it
  4. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Do you have an idea of what you want to do on your iPhone, but cannot?

You have a large contingent of Apple products. You do seem pretty entrenched into Apple's ecosystem of products and services. Moving to a non-Apple device will require a bit of work on your part such as finding apps that are the Android equivalent or substitute for your iOS apps. It is possible, but will take some effort. I'm not exactly sure what you would gain will be worth your effort. Making it look like what you want is a little vague.

One of the things that you can do with Android is change the launcher. There are a variety of launchers available with different features. For example, I use Nova Prime Launcher. I use it to remove the app dock at the bottom of my home screen and add extra rows of icons.

On all launchers, you will have a variety of widgets. These are objects on your home screen that allow you to access some info from apps without the need to open them. Some widgets also allow you to control certain system settings without more conveniently than having to go into the settings menus.

Android phones allow you to change your keyboard. There are a variety of keyboards to choose from. Many keyboards allow you to customise them to look different. I choose a red-coloured theme for my keyboard.

Android also allows you to change app defaults. For instance, if you prefer a different web browser than the default one on your phone, you can change it, so any time you tap on a url, it will launch the new default browser you choose.

Take some time to consider what you want and perhaps try out a few Android phones (there are many) at a store to see if you like it. Note that Android phones do behave a little differently than iPhones, so although there are similarities, there are some differences that will take some getting use to.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. MissPammyJ

MissPammyJ New Member

@Stuntman - exactly what I want to do...change everything about the phone. Customize to my likings and preferences. With my iPhone you can change the background..YEEHAA!

I had the Epic before my iPhone 4s and loved it but then decided my world should be Apple. Now, I'm regretting it.
  6. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i see... well.

let me be the first to... welcome u back to the fold.. :)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  7. OP, unfortunately you are not tech savvy... you are far from tech savvy. A tech savvy girl would be using Linux on desktop, rooted Android on their phone and posting on XDA instead here...
  8. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Come on in the water is fine. Serious the S3 is a great choice for your first android phone, specially if out get into rooting it and installing custom ROMs, there are tons out there, I will also say to look at the nexus 4. Nothing is better then the pure android experience.

Welcome to the green side.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  9. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

If you had the Epic, then you know what you're getting into. Android hasn't changed _that_ much since then. Just faster and more polished, and the phones are more powerful (and usually bigger). But the S3 isn't necessarily the top of the line anymore, you may want to do some research, just depends what you are looking for in a phone.:)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  10. zoxxo

zoxxo Well-Known Member

Umm, isn't OS X a version of UNIX with a pretty bedspread thrown over it? :D
    jackroo and Mark with a K like this.
  11. Mark with a K

Mark with a K Member

yes.
  12. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Not necessarily true. Not everyone who is tech savvy prefers a rooted phone, and some of us find the AF environment quite a friendly place to discuss our Android gadgets!;):)
  13. Mark with a K

Mark with a K Member

if you're looking for full customization it is very good idea to sell iphone for the galaxy sIII. i used to own a 4s sold it to get the sIII im not regretting my decision the sIII is a very nice device. plus with android you can customize without very much trouble and the sIII has a bigger processor. i think the iphones have 600mhz processor afaik correct me if im wrong.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  14. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The processor in the ip5 is one of the better ones available last time I heard(around when the device was released)

But that's a moot point, you shouldn't be able to notice one significantly faster than the other.
  15. That's why I prefer AF to XDA because I don't understand 90% they post over there.
  16. MadKiwi

MadKiwi Member

I too am looking at moving away from Apple and back to an environment where I can do what I want, how I want, rather than have it dictated to me.
    I've ditched the MacBook Pro and gone back to a Windows desktop (and a couple of Linux VMs) and am now looking at what to replace the iPhone 4S with.
    The 2 main contenders I have in mind are the Samsung S3 and the Google Nexus 4. I like the look and feel of the S3 but haven't been able to find any retailers here in Dunedin, New Zealand who sell the Nexus 4 so that I can see what it feels like to use.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  17. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hi MissPammyJ...

Welcome aboard. I've went ahead and move your discussion over to the Samsung Galaxy s3 forum for more responses on this topic.

Personally, I would tell you to make the switch...but hey, I'm just an Android fanboi lover. :)
    ocnbrze likes this.
  18. jrsharp21

jrsharp21 Active Member

I made the switch a few weeks ago. I kept telling my wife I was bored with my iphone4. So for Xmas she went out and used her upgrade for my line and got me the blue Galaxy S3. Loving it so far. The iPhone screen looks so small now compared to the S3.
  19. people who want to "upgrade" phones because they are bored with their current one really need to find a new hobby. Your new phone will not fill your void in life, you will be bored of your new phone soon enough.

If all the Apps, games, movies on an iPhone can not relieve your boredom, what hope will the extra widget and animation have?
  20. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Umm, you do realize you are on a site with over a million members who come here to talk about their phones, right? lol It's a hobby for a lot of people, just like any other, and like most hobbies, thinking about the "next" thing you want to get is part of it. I can think of worse things people could be getting into. :rolleyes:
    shelliewnj likes this.
  21. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Actually, many non-tech users flock to XDA. There are many techs there but there are many, many non-techs. Proportionally more than here.

I post in both forums by the way
  22. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

No. It's Unix with an ugly bedspread on ;)
  23. DonaldGreig

DonaldGreig Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. Apple everything and I have an iPhone 5 and an S3. And I can't for the life of me decide which is the best. IPhone 5 is a bit boring. But it's so integrated with everything. I use Google for email and contacts etc so I'm pretty synced regardless of what phone I use. I have to say that the screen is better on the IPhone 5. Much brighter. But that's about as much as I can differentiate. Now an iPhone with SwiftKey!
  24. bearballz

bearballz Well-Known Member

If you're serious about jumping back into Android, I would wait a month or two and and see what gets announced at some of the trade shows like Mobile World Congress. The next wave of Android phones with better processors, screens and all the bells and whistles is just 3-4 months away.

I love the S3 and you could probably find a fantastic deal on it right now. But you may regret the decision when these new phones start rolling out come April and May.
  25. jgscott987

jgscott987 Well-Known Member

If you want a removable battery and an SD card slot (Two critical features in my book), then the S3 is absolutely the top of the line right now.
    FinancialWar likes this.