Total 100% Newbie to smart phones! Help a little bit?General

Last Updated:

1. redfirefly

redfirefly Member This Topic's Starter

Jan 29, 2010

I'm so thankful for this place, but there's so much info I'm not sure I can read it all fast enough!

I have a couple quick questions(I just got my Eris yesterday)...there are 2 things I want to do:

1) decide which notifications I get...for example I don't need my phone to let me know I have FB messages or updates or emails...I'll check that on my own, but VM and missed calls I'd like to get a notification(tone and flash deal)

2) How do I shut off the vibrations when I'm touching the phone in any way? I don't really need it to vibrate at all...never been a fan of that :)

I plan on letting the battery drain down all the way before fully charging it back up, and my husband and I are getting the nifty better batteries too...I just want to remove any unnecessary(totally spelled wrong) things...And I did install an app killer...what is the concencus on this? Should I just uninstall it? I don't use a lot of these things so I thought it would be good to kill some apps unless I need them on demand...

TIA! I appreciate the advice and any help, I do know some of this may be already answered but I just can't spend too much time searching right now(although I forsee myself spending a lot of time on the forum this weekend...)

2. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    1. In the settings, look for social network settings and there you can chose how often you can get the facebook and other social networks updates.
    For voice mail and such, go to settings >sound&display and there you can decide if you want the trackball to flash.

2. You can only shut off the vibration when you type. Buttons like home, search, back and menu will always vibrate unless we get a root.
    When you are using a keyboard, look for gear key under letter Z.Then go to text input and there you can turn off the vibration when you type.
  3. droidkevlar

droidkevlar Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Also another thing to watch for is whatever apps you install, make sure you read what its going to do. A battery killer for your phone is too many apps that "prevent phone to sleep". I made the mistake of not looking at this and uninstalled every single app and reinstalled them one by one to see which one was the battery killer. As for task killer, people here are either going to say keep it or get rid of it. Its a personal choice I believe. I have one.