Total Android Newb

Last Updated:

1. grandmoo

grandmoo New Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings. I come from the land of Nokia and Symbian, please don't laugh at me. I have been ogling Android for a while now. Would like to have been able to purchase something unlocked/unbranded outright, but 4 new Nokias in a year and a half (2 E71s, a 5800 XM and most recently an N97 Mini) plus a new netbook for me and a laptop for my husband has left my pockets a bit empty. I bit the bullet and upgraded my AT&T contract so I could get the Galaxy S/Captivate. The reviews I read were all pretty good, even for the AT&T version, and thus far (ok, less than 24 hrs later, but still...) I'm loving it.

I didn't get the $4.99/month ($125 deductible for a replacement) warranty with AT&T, just purchased my $114 total ($50 deductible for a replacement) from SquareTrade Warranty and now all I need is to get brave enough to root it. All of my Nokias except the very first one, were hacked/rooted, either from the day I was able to get my dev cert or as soon as the most current firmware update was hackable, so I'm not totally ignorant. I just need to do some getting familiar with the device, and a whole lot of reading on forums such as this one.

I may be here every day, but probably in lurk mode more than anything. I'll try not to ask stupid newb questions without searching far and wide for the answer first. Can't wait to have the time to really dig in and spend time reading.

Hope this was an "ok" introductory thread and not too boring - ;o)

I've been around quite a few of the Symbian forums, so if any of you guys defected too, you might have seen me there. I wasn't extremely active, but I did post occasionally...

Later y'all. And thanks for having me!

Advertisement
  2. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

No such thing as a "stupid/newb" question here my friend! Glad you're on board!

Very good intro btw!

3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! I hope you feel free to join the conversations! :D

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

5. grandmoo

Thanks. I wasn't sure how well mention of a different OS, etc. might be received. Some places get right radical if you do that.:eek:

6. grandmoo

Thanks guys!

7. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Yw! :D

8. Leftyguy

Leftyguy Well-Known Member

Hi & Welcome to the Android Forums - Cheers....;)