Total Equipment Protection From Sprint

Last Updated:

1. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone getting it? I've never gotten insurance on a phone, but then I've never had a phone with such a large screen. :D

Advertisement
  2. Bic101

Bic101 Well-Known Member

remember it's $100 deductible for any accidental damage/theft replacement, plus $7 a month. May only be worth it the first year, thereafter, for premier members at least, you can get $150 for a new one anyway. Check with your credit card company. Many give you 90 days accidental damage/theft when using their card, plus one year extension on warranty for no charge.

3. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

I've had insurance on most of my Sprint smart phones. I've had them replace different phones for me for no charge in the past (same model). Once they gave me a Touch Pro 2 for a Touch Pro 1. YMMV, but you can sometimes get upgraded phones using the insurance.

Plus I don't have to worry so much about my phone. I could accidentally run over it (don't know how that would happen), but they would replace it for free.

4. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

About three months ago, I had to take in my Hero to be looked at due to it not getting my contacts back. Expecting to have to use TEP, it turned out that they just gave me another brand new Hero. So I did not have to shell out the $100 required fee.

TS

5. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member

Is it $100? I thought it was $50 deductible, at least for my current phone (Palm Centro).

6. skunkd

skunkd Well-Known Member

they bumped smartphones up to 100... but you only pay that if it was your fault or you report it lost. if the device is faulty then you pay no deductible for a replacement/repair.

jeffdlb likes this.
  7. csinsc

csinsc Member

I used to shun the TEP, but for some reason I picked it up when I got my Palm Pre. Anyway, long story short, I sat on the phone and broke it. $100 deductible and the phone was at my doorstep the next day. I will be enrolling my EVO in the TEP.

Pre-Ordered the EVO and I can't wait:)

8. tss

tss Member

I have had it since the treo 700P days and have always had to use it one way or another but have yet to pay the deductible. They always have replaced it due to what they file as a manufacture defect, even if there was a screen or button broken.... Would not have the EVO without some kind of insurance.

9. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

someone said that the best buy warranty is better though because Sprint replaces your phone with a refurb whereas BB will replace it with a new phone. is this true?

10. tictac

tictac Member

i replaced my pre six times so far due to faulty hardware. i never used the TEP even though i have it. however, i might "lose" my EVO as a reason to have one to use as a dev model. :)

11. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

You think that's humorous? That's what's known as insurance fraud and is considered a felony in most states if the value of the item is over $400. It's also what causes honest people to pay more for insurance than necessary. Nice going jerk. If calling you a jerk gets me banned, so be it. I guess I should have just called you a thief. Oh well.

12. JimSmith94

JimSmith94 Well-Known Member

How would you manage that without paying the deductible?

13. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member

we pay more for insurance because insurance companys are greedy and are in business to make a profit. 'fradulent' claims of cell phones aren't eating too much into to their bottom line.

As much as we pay for insurance on a yearly basis it's nice to see some returns like a new phone.

14. chazglenn3

chazglenn3 Active Member

The Sprint TEP is just another reason for me to drop AT&T and the iPhone. They don't offer any insurance at all.

15. ashtx07

ashtx07 Well-Known Member

I worked at BB last year, so idk if they've changed it since then or not, but they will not just automatically replace your phone. It depends on what the problem is. IF it's fixable, then they send it off to be fixed. If it doesn't come back within a certain time period then they replace your phone w/a new one, and if it's not fixable well then you get a new one as well. But the thing with the BB plan is that it doesn't cover loss/stolen. So if you lose your phone or it gets stolen, then your SOL, but they do cover water damage, as to where to my memory Sprint does not.

mrvirginia likes this.
  16. tictac

tictac Member

you would think a developer phone would help out with their bottom line anyway. more people would create more apps therefore bringing a bigger audience to the android community. until google/sprint releases an official developer phone for the evo4g, then this is pretty much the only way we will get spare phones to develop on.

its not like i said im going to lose the phone so i can give it to my friend and have them activate it on their account. that isnt possible anyway due to the MEID flagging.

17. chazglenn3

chazglenn3 Active Member

The Sprint Total Equipment Protection does cover water damage. It is the $7 monthly coverage. They also have two lower levels of coverage that are cheaper.

18. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

TEP will cover water damage, but you'll pay the $100 deductible.

19. ashtx07

Lol. You're funny. I work for insurance and I can tell you that they are not going to miss that EVO. The insurance co is still going to get their money one way or another.

20. ashtx07

Yea, like I said its been a while since I've dealt with all of that. I know that used to be BB point of selling their protection plans, once upon a time. LOL. But its nice to know that the TEP covers water damage. Thanks.

21. Jaymcp

Jaymcp Member

Don't know if this has been asked yet or not. I am new to Sprint and will be purchasing my EVO at BB, but can I add sprints insurance to my account or do I have to use BB's plan?

22. ashtx07

Yea, after you buy the phone just cll sprint and add the TEP if you don't want to use BB plan.

23. Jaymcp

Jaymcp Member

Ok thanks! The fact that BB doesn't cover loss/theft is a deal breaker because my wife loses everything. :D

24. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

This is only true if you do it within 30 days.

25. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

Whatever. I am sure that you are an asset liability specilist or have a masters in actuarial mathmatics. Even so, you must have missed the class that says insurance fraud is a significant portion of costs. One Evo will not be missed. 1,000 will be missed. Taking into account all of the others who do this, 50,000+ phones fraudulently claimed on insurance affects the math.

So, while the insurance company will continue to make money, doing this isn't screwing the insurance company, its screwing every body else who pays for insurance.

But go ahead...the likelihood of you or someone else getting caught for insurance fraud is unlikely. And, I don't care that much if people do it, I just don't like people dimissing it as a victimless crime.

Having said that, I'd highly suggest you not use your picture on your avatar in case your insurance employer notices it and wonders why she thinks insurance fraud is funny.

jamesdean likes this.