1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Total Tasker noob - can anyone talk me through some settings?

Last Updated:

1. Tó Madeira

Tó Madeira Active Member This Topic's Starter

I only have Tasker on trial for a few more days and would like to nail some of this stuff to see if it's worth me getting the full version

Trying to do the following

• when in certain locations (my house, my girlfriend's house etc) - turn on wifi and turn it off again when I leave them
    • Switch off mobile data if it has not been used for 5 mins (not sure if anything goes on behind the scenes that might affect this? automatically checking for emails etc)
    • when the phone is connected to a charger (either AC or USB) - display on highest brightness and keep it bright so that it doesn't automatically dull after a few seconds (I've managed to stop it from locking but it doesn't stay bright)

any help on these would be great and means I can happily commit to Tasker when the trial is up

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Tried the brightness setting - works fine here (I turned off Power Saving in the phones Settings, and have it set off automatic brightness, which may have had something to do with it).

The locations one should be easy, have you tried to set them up? There is a section in the guide within Tasker called "Location contexts without tears" (or something like that), that is a good guide to setting up location based profiles. If you've tried and the problem is that they don't turn off when you leave, then try adding an Exit task that explicitly turns WiFi off again (this shouldn't be neccessary though).

The mobile data one sounds a bit trickier, unless you are going to set up many profiles to monitor for conditions to turn it back on (like if browser launched, mobile data back on, etc). What is the particular use-case you wanted this for?

Tó Madeira likes this.
  3. Tó Madeira

Tó Madeira Active Member This Topic's Starter

ok, bit of progress

I didn't change my phone settings like you suggested, but I did manage to add an additional rule in Tasker that causes the brightness to stay at the level I want

the mobile data one is not really that important. I tend not to have it turned on the save on battery life. I was just wondering if there was a way of turning it off if I forget after using it and was trying to think of ways to do that. I considered maybe turning off when I close the browser, but that wouldn't work if I turned it on to use an app to check sports scores etc so was just trying to think of another way, it's not really a deal breaker though, just would be useful

I've tried to set up a few locations based rules. I successfully set up one that turns my phone to silent when in work but was unsuccessful in a few attempts to turn on wifi when at home so not sure where I'm going wrong.

4. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Which settings are you using for location based ones? There are several available - network (low power drain, only accurate to a couple of kilometres), Cell Near (in states, more accurate than Network, again low power drain), and GPS (high power drain, most accurate).

For network it depends whether you are on CDMA or GSM as to which network data setting you use (for GSM you'll need APNDroid installed too by the help files description). For the use you're describing I guess I would set one profile to turn off data if the screen is off, then a few more for if the screen is on (for example if screen on and browser open [two contexts], mobile data on, with an exit task to turn data off - set these up for each program that you use for data). I think that would work for what you want, although there will be a more elegant way to do it I'm sure.

EDIT: You can actually add multiple applications to the context, so that would mean only two profiles are needed (screen off/screen on).

5. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member