• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Touch different with Screen Protector?

So far I have "gone naked" with my Incredible. I had a screen protector on my Eris and the feel of the screen with the naked Inc seems far better than the Eris with the protector. So my question is: Does the addition of the screen protector significantly affect the touch experience with your phone? I love the accuracy and feel of the naked screen, but would consider a screen protector if it won't change the feel and I don't want to waste the cost of a good screen protector if I can avoid it. Appreciate your insights.

As mentioned in this thread there are two types of screen protectors. One is a rubbery type and the other is a hard plastic.

The rubbery screen protectors like the Zagg definitely feels different than the naked glass. The response time is actually pretty good and doesn't seem delayed at all. However the rubbery material feels grabby. I've read some reviews where some users didn't feel the screen was grabby at all, but I think it has to do with your skin type and how it reacts with the screen. My fingers grab on the screen and I can't stand the feel. One benefit of this type of material is that it doesn't scratch and might last as long as you have the phone. I suppose it could catch on something sharp and rip, but it's pretty tough material and I don't think it would happen easily. Also, the material is not perfectly glass smooth, imagine really thick saran wrap. Not orange peel rough but it's enough to notice.

On the other hand the hard plastic type of screen protectors basically feel and look like glass. Swipes feel exactly the same to your fingers. However, I don't know about everyone else, but I seem to feel that there is just a slight reduction in sensitivity though. Not enough to be frustrating or even annoying, but I can tell a difference. Still works great, and light years ahead of my old Samsung Omnia resistive screen. These screens scratch very easily though. They'll scratch every time you put your phone in your pocket with your keys. The lifespan is very short. Luckily these screen are very inexpensive and the really cheap one's on Ebay are basically the same as the expensive ones in a store, so just load up on the the cheap screens and replace them every month or two.

Reactions: Yodeldog
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones