• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Touch Input Freezes/Works incorrectly

esper47

Lurker
Nov 4, 2010
To start: I searched the forums for this problem but didn't see anything similar. If this is a repost, sorry, please give me a link to a solution.

Over the past two days the touch input on my Evo has been freezing and/or not working correctly. Here are some of the things that happen:
-Button presses I didn't make
-opening of and then freezing in place of notification bar
-total freezing to touch (including bottom four buttons)
-total misinterpretation of touch input (this happens mostly in games)

The problem seems to go away when I shut off the screen and then turn it back on again. However, I sometimes have to do this three times in order to type a single sentence text. I did a hard reset earlier today and it was fine for a few hours. It seemed to come back after I installed some of the apps I had before it was reset.
I've read that there was an issue with the earlier Evos about the screen not being grounded, but this seems more of a software issue to me. Anyone know what I can do?

Sounds like one of the apps may be doing it. Uninstall them one at a time...is 4g on? Are you using any apps to monitor cpu usage? Memory usage? Any task killers?

Also search google for htc calibrate apk install it an run it.

Calibrate in menu.settings.display.calibrate

That is all I can think of now

Upvote 0
I downloaded and installed a CPU monitoring program to see if the CPU was being used up... not the problem. I'm in the process of uninstalling all of my third party apps. I was previously using ATK to kill unwanted apps but it hasn't been running for a while and the problem has continued.
Here's a summary of what might happen:
-Phone works fine for 45 minutes
-bottom four buttons stop working, touch input is totally misinterpreted (by both where my fingers are and what direction they're moving in)

In order to make the phone usable again I have to shut the screen off and turn it back on. This makes me think that the problem is with the HTC touch input application... is there any way to reinstall it if it somehow became corrupted?

I did install and use the HTC calibrate apk, but it didn't seem to have an effect. As for menu.settings.display.calibrate, when I go to display I don't see a touch calibration tool (other than G-sensor).

Upvote 0
So I uninstalled every downloaded app and the problem still happens. Using the settings to find out what is using up memory shows me as having about 180M free, and the CPU monitoring app that I had before removing everything didn't show anything out of place. Is there a way that I can reinstall Touch Input or even Android if I have to?

Upvote 0
when you did your hard reset did you do it through the phone, or did you hold power button on while pressing volume down and do it through there?

try that...and if no workie...I would take it into a sprint corporate repair center.

all this if you are stock. if you are rooted reflash your rom...if that doesn't fix it try a different rom

Upvote 0
I'm also having the same problem. At various times the touch input will be misinterpreted or the phone will lock up. At times the only way to fix it is to reboot the phone. This may have happened intermittantly since I've owned the phone (since June) but I always attributed it to either not enough memory/cpu usage etc and the problem resolved itself...but over the last two weeks it's happening all of the time. I've also noticed it tends to reboot each morning.

The Sprint store I went to suggested a factory reset. I'm in the middle of backing everything up and doing that. Let me know if you've found the cause or fix.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm on my second EVO. Did not have this problem on my first. There was a lot written about this in summer 2010, but I just got this replacement a couple of months ago. Screen is unresponsive until i press power button, blanking it, and turn back on again, then it's fine. Problem is that it hangs up incoming phone calls. Have rebooted, repowered, removed battery, etc., removed third party apps.

Upvote 0
I just bought my evo a week ago, and I will do some of this too. Not to the extreme that you have described, but it seems rather glitchy. Sometimes when I press an Icon, it will highlight, but when I release It will do nothing and is unresponsive. Sometimes (More often) when texting swype it will do the same thing. I have to turn the screen off and then turn it back on, sometimes 2 or 3 times before it works. Also, when I click an Icon, usually a person in my people widget, It will open up a completely different person. The thing that I am mainly worried about is that it may be doing it only a little bit now, it might get much much worse. I'm gonna bring mine back to best buy on monday to swap it out for a new one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones