Touch Screen Calibration Issues Still?

1. OldSkoOL

OldSkoOL Member

I still get touch screen calibration issues nearly a year on.

I wonder whether it's a software thing or a hardware thing as i've had many software updates since buying the phone.

What happens is when typing, lets say i'm trying to press the letter E, it will bring up the menu key, i.e. it brings up the function of the key a good few cm's below what i've pressed.

Sometimes i get zoom issues too, trying to scroll down a web page it seems to stutter the zoom in/out.

Are these common place problems on a N1 or should i be looking for a replacement... or waiting for a software patch?

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I thought we all knew it was a hardware problem...
  3. Hobashira

Hobashira Active Member

This is certainly not the final word on the question, but I have found that regularly cleaning (at least once a day) the touchscreen prevented the problem from happening and that a microfiber glass cleaning cloth was very effective.
    razvan06 likes this.
  4. OldSkoOL

OldSkoOL Member

If it's a known problem with no fix then i will live with it, try cleaning the screen more often etc.

However, if HTC has a fix i'll like an exchange because it is quite annoying sometimes. Just don't want to bother sending it back and being without a phone for 2 weeks if all they will do is send me a re-conditioned replacement.
  5. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I've had the issue like once in the last 6 months. I'm surprised to see it's related to cleanliness.. although I must say I keep it relatively clean, apart from the usual smudges.
    I thought it was more related to something electrical.. seeing as the problem used to occur more when it was plugged in. But for some reason it just stopped happening to me.

Too bad like 90% of the Nexus' flaws are caused by the crappy Clearpad2000 digitizer.
    Apart from that it's just one big chunk of awesome.
  6. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Your issues are stemming from the Clearpad 2000 digitizer. It is horrendous at keeping track of any multi-touch. Since the issue is hardware base and google has moved on to the Nexus S I wouldn't expect any sort of update to fix it, it's something we have to live with.
  7. batman25

batman25 Well-Known Member

Hardware problem. I had it on my first N1 from day one. Clean or dirty the screen was sh*t and the phone was useless. You can still exchange it under warranty.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Member

A coworker of mine has a droid and he has the same problems. This may be an android issue.
  9. BreatheElectro

BreatheElectro Well-Known Member

It's a hardware issue on the Nexus One! The Clearpad 2000 basically sucks.
  10. bhds

bhds New Member

I get the problem all the time. Lock and then unlock the screen fixes it, at least temporarily:cool:
  11. OldSkoOL

OldSkoOL Member

So is it general consensus that it's the clearpad 2000?

And the most important question, do the latest N1's have a hardware screen that has been fixed of this issue?

My N1 is perfect in every other way so last thing i want to do is send it back and get a refurbed unit with the same issue.
  12. Mostly Harmless

No, all N1's have the clearpad 2000 and suffer from the multitouch registration issues.
  13. DroDro

DroDro Member

What about the HTC Desire? It uses the same touch sensor as the Nexus One. I haven't come across any Desire users complain about the touchscreen going crazy.
  14. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Honestly the easiest thing to do when this happens I've found is to just hit the power key up top to blank the screen and then hit it again to bring the screen back up. Gets rid of the calibration issue immediately.

Not too much of a hassle, only happens once in a blue anymore.
  15. Cysu

Cysu New Member

"Lock and then unlock", quite effective...but the problem is so annoying
  16. JJBlade

JJBlade Member

Well gingerbread has fixed this for me. This is the biggest fix by miles for me.
  17. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

When I first install GB, I got the screen issue really, really bad. I wiped cache & dalvik, and since then I can't remember it happening.
  18. Mostly Harmless

I just tried the multitouch test and the issue is definitely still there, its a hardware issue not a software issue.
  19. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Oh for sure, that will never go away, the Clearpad 2k is shite.

What we're on about is the crazy "out of calibration" thing that happens every so often.
  20. Mostly Harmless

Oh, my bad.
  21. Dolmangar

Dolmangar Well-Known Member

I've found that I start getting digitizer issues at around 300 - 350 hours of up time. Since I installed 2.3.3 I haven't run continuously that long yet. A reboot always cleared up the problem for another few hundred hours. Lately I've been rebooting at least once a week to keep ahead of the issue. Not that big a deal for me, but perhaps my particular N1 isn't as bad as others.
  22. I have had my Nexus for almost a year, and I don't know what any of you are talking about. :confused:
  23. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You're quite lucky then :)
  24. gerryk

gerryk Well-Known Member

Everyone is so quick to show how knowledgeable they are about multitouch issues that they didn't bother to ever read the post to see that's not the problem being discussed at all :D
    The calibration problem that shows up, particularly when plugged in, is a software issue, as demonstrable be doing a sleep/wake cycle, which makes it go away temporarily.
    Since getting the GB update, it has not happened at all, so it seems to be cured.
  25. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Ooh there's some irony.

If you'd bothered to read the posts you'd see it's not cured.