Touch Screen IssueSupport

Last Updated:

1. BrigitteNorcott

BrigitteNorcott New Member This Topic's Starter

I have been very happy with my Desire Z and have had this for 2 weeks. But last night I noticed the following. The left hand side of the screen is unresponsive if the phone is lying on a table/floor etc, i.e. I am not holding the phone in my hand. The only way I can select any of the onscreen buttons on the left hand side is when I am actually holding the screen - as you would normally in use.

Funny thing is that the pattern screen lock still works OK, so when the phone is not being held, it still identifies any of the 3 left hand combinations.

I do have an HTC screen protector on, but that is all.

Has anyone else have this issue, and is it an issue I should take up with retailers/HTC?

Thanks
    Brigitte

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I've just tried my own on various surfaces, making no contact with the handset body, and the screen remained responsive across the entire area. It could be simply a combination of dry atmosphere/fingers not allowing the capacitive input to register correctly, but with the handset so new I suggest contacting the retailer (or HTC) for advice.

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I've noticed that I have had some difficulties with the touch screen if my phone is on the car mount. I have a rather difficult time unlocking the screen as it appears to have difficulties registering my touch and drag.

What I noticed is that the screen is much more responsive if a part of me is touching the metal frame of the phone while I touch the screen. What I do now to unlock the screen when the phone is on the car mount is I touch the frame of the phone with my thumb while I use my index finger to touch the screen and drag the bar down to unlock the screen. If you are having difficulties registering your touch while the phone is on a table, I would suggest you just touch the frame with one finger while the other is touching the screen.

I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing defect or if this is the property of capacitive touch screens. Capactive screens relies on a conductive property of your finger tip to register the touch. If you use your finger nail instead, the screen will not register the touch because your nail is non-conductive. Your finger tip is conductive as skin conducts electricity better. Since I have to touch the frame of the phone, it seems to require some type of grounding for the touch to register.