Touch screen issues?

Last Updated:

1. redraider25

redraider25 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Want to start off by saying that I love this forum...it has taken my Hero to new heights. Plus every time there is a new ROM to play with it is like I get a new phone.

However, I am having a problem with the touch screen on my hero. Let me start off by saying I am running CM6 currently. When I wake my phone and clear the lock screen everything works great for a while. After approx 10 minutes of use the touch function of the screen goes haywire. If I am touching an icon on the bottom of the screen it will select one at the top of the screen. I seems to do this kinda randomly, meaning sometimes it happens after 10 min of use and sometime it is after a hour of use. The only solution I have found to correct the issue is to put the phone to sleep and then wake it up several minutes later. I have had the problem for some time and it has happened on several different ROMs that I have flashed. It has happened on Zen, Fresh, and now CM6.

Has anyone else had this issue and is there a cure? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Advertisement
  2. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

It sounds like it could be a hardware issue. I am not 100% sure, but it does not sound like it is related to software because you have tried several ROMs with the same results.

If you are on some kind of a warranty plan you could try to get it exchanged. Of course if you do that, be sure to return your Sprint HTC Hero to stock form first or they will just laugh at you.

3. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

I'm wondering if this is a hardware issue, since it happens on differnt ROMs. Perhaps try to go back to stock (UNrooted), and see if it continues. You will have to go back to stock anyway, if you take it back to Sprint. So, worth a try?

EDIT: LBPHeretic beat me to it! LOL

4. redraider25

Might be a stupid questions, but how do I "UnRoot" my phone? I have the original nandriod of stock but I don't know how to unroot the phone. I guess I will try this to see if the problem persist.

5. ccapasso

ccapasso Well-Known Member

You unroot by runing the RUU.

6. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

You can install HTC Sync and get the original Android 2.1 RUU and reflash that to your Sprint HTC Hero. I think that would unroot your handset.

As for other methods, it depends on how you rooted it in the first place. For example, if you used the Z4Root app from the Android Market to root, you can just hit the button in that app to unroot your handset.

7. redraider25

Are there any other suggestions on what might be causing the touch screen problem, just sounds like a huge hassle to unroot and deal with Sprint.

Thanks in advance

8. ccapasso

Doubtful to be a ROM specific issue. As you already stated, it happens on various ROM's. Sounds to me like bad hardware.

Un-root (return to stock) and see if the problem is still there. If it is, take it to Sprint.

9. redraider25

I hate to sound stupid but I kinda am when it comes to this stuff. I am trying to find a step by step on this forum for unrooting but I have not been successful. If anyone knows of a step by step it would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

10. oOMavrikOo

oOMavrikOo Well-Known Member

I had some issues with my touch screen when it would get really hot. maybe you could monitor the temperature.

11. ccapasso

I don't have the link anymore to the original 2.1 RUU, but basically you download the file, run the exe and walk through the steps. This will take your phone back to stock 2.1

12. redraider25

Final question on this topic. If I unroot my phone and take it to sprint and they are able to fix the touch screen problem, will I still be able to root the same phone again? I can't imagine why I would not be able to but just want to be sure.

13. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Yes! You will be able to re-root it. Even if they give you a brand new Hero or refurbished one, you will still be able to root.

14. redraider25

Thanks everyone