Touch screen not working in certain regionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. enemkay

enemkay Active Member This Topic's Starter

The touch screen on my hero suddenly started exhibiting strange behavior today. It doesn't register taps at the edges of the screen (left, right, top, bottom) but still registers swipes. These regions are quite large, making the buttons on the outside rows of the keyboard unusable. the middle of the screen is still fine for taps and swipes. Anyone else experienced this? I've tried rebooting and removing the battery with no improvement.

I've had my hero for about eight months, and it has been perfect until today with no apparent physical cause for this problem, i.e., the phone has not been damaged (cracked, dented, etc) in any way.

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You could try a factory reset, to see if that restores full functionality. This will delete all data on the handset though (but not files on the microSD card), so ensure contacts etc are backed up before attempting it.

If the touchscreen is still faulty after this then it is likely a hardware fault that will require a repair/replacement under warranty.

3. slumpy

slumpy New Member

Hi, I've got the same problem on my phone. Its tmobile running 2.1. It started a week or so ago and I often cant use any buttons located on the bottom of my screen, which makes opening the app drawer difficult, and typing messages impossible (clicking the backspace button causes a smiley face to be entered in the message!!).

The problem is intermittent, sometimes connecting the AC charger helps, but restarting the phone doesnt seem to do anything. One minute the screen can be fine, the next its stopped working. I'm going to complain to tmobile tomorrow, but i doubt I will get anything useful out of them.

I noticed a post by someone else with a similar problem, they were running a custom rom, so it sounds like a hardware issue with the Hero.

4. enemkay

this is annoying, as i have taken good care of my phone and there is no good reason for it to have become damaged. seems like either poor workmanship or cheap materials then. i wonder if this is an issue with other htc phones. might be switching to motorola or samsung then.

5. enemkay

sprint store replaced the screen (free of charge) and the problem is gone.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

enemkay, I've moved your post to the Sprint Hero section for you.

Don't forget, we don't have the same phone as you over in the GSM section, so we can't help you with stuff like this.

7. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Glad to hear that it is fixed! :)

Be sure to let us know here in the Sprint Hero forum if you need any more help! (Besides, it's a good place to learn about what else you can do with your Hero!)