• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Touch screen, undersensitive/oversensitive/not responding

Hi

I've got an HTC Hero that I've had since the day it was released in the UK so it's about 18 months old, it is fully updated with Android 2.1 but it has recently developed touch screen problems.

The screen can work fine for 5 or 10 minutes and then develop problems. It will have a mixture of issues, either becoming oversensitive and moving when my finger is above the screen but not touching it, or not responding at all. On other occassions it will recognise me pushing the screen but will register the touch as being several centimeters under where I am touching the screen. Other times I will not be touching the screen at all but it will be trying to scroll the screens or moving across the keyboard on its own, or resizing the home screen on it's own.

I originally thought that it may be a software issue, perhaps caused by a widget or similar so I have done a factory re-set but there has been no change in the performance of the screen and the issue is still there.

I also considered that it could be a hardware issue as had read that numerous people have had issues with the digitiser (I am not 100% sure on what this is but have assumed its the glass part of the screen). But their problems seemed to be completely unresponsive sections or entire screens all the time. I would have thought if the hardware had failed it would have the problem continually whereas this problem in intermittent.

I would welcome your thoughts on what you think this problem might be hardware or software, or even if you've had the same problem and fixed it how you did this.

This is really frustrating me as it is basically rendering my phone useless for large portions of the day!

I look forward to hearing from anyone and thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.

I have this exact same problem and have tried factory resetting and uninstalling everything, not to mention given my screen an ultimate clean - all to no avail. The lack of replies to similar posts suggests to me the phone is goosed or on the way out. I've had mine for 18 months now without a single fault. I suppose that's not a bad innings!

Upvote 0
Same problem here, I could only use the trackball but as you can't access the keyboard in this way, the phone became totally unuseable. I was in T Mobile looking for my upgrade phone (awaiting arrival of Galaxy S2 through Chitter Chatter) I happened to mention the dead screen. As the phone is less than 2 years old, I was informed that they could send it back under warranty as it is a hardware problem. I'm still waiting for it to come back with the hope that it will be ok and can pass it on to my son.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones