• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Canesfan

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
the Desert
This app. just magically appeared yesterday, days after my 4.3 update and I inadvertently selected the simpler screen which unwantedly threw me from Oz back to Kansas. It took me (a non-technie, non-Geek form) into a tizzy...I mean wtf?

Why is this app necessary and why did it creep into my Android life? Besides adding another step to return to the home screen, what's the benefit?

I think you have your terms mixed up. Touch Wiz is what Samsung calls their stock ROM/interface. It includes all the stock stuff, like their dialer, contacts, messaging, etc apps. One of the things in Touch Wiz is the setting you're talking about, the Home Screen. And that setting has been on my S4 since I got it the weekend the phone was released. It's meant for very non-techie folks. Think grandma and grandpa.

Upvote 0
I think you have your terms mixed up. Touch Wiz is what Samsung calls their stock ROM/interface. It includes all the stock stuff, like their dialer, contacts, messaging, etc apps. One of the things in Touch Wiz is the setting you're talking about, the Home Screen. And that setting has been on my S4 since I got it the weekend the phone was released. It's meant for very non-techie folks. Think grandma and grandpa.

Thanks for clarifying!

Although it's meant for non-techie's like me, I think it sucks. For some reason every time I would press the home button when I was finished at a given site, it would ask me what app. I wanted to use to get there. Maybe I had Touch Wiz from the get-go, but for some reason this change took effect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones