Touchdown Slow to pull up names from Contacts

Last Updated:

1. mdevine

mdevine Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else experience a delay of about 5 seconds within touchdown for it to pull up contact name suggestions. For example. Compose email- type in last name of person to add to the "To" field. Take about 5-7 seconds for the name suggestion to come up from the contact list.

This typical?

Advertisement
  2. rvonder

rvonder Well-Known Member

I couldn't live without Touchdown, but must admit it is slow across the board for me. In addition to your problem pulling up contacts, I see big delays in other areas as well: Why does it take so long to simply open the Choose Folder dialog, for example? Worse yet is deleting a batch of messages at one time, such as trying to empty the Deleted Items --this can take a full minute or more, to the point that Android concludes twice that the app isn't responding. I just deal with it, because I haven't found anything better for working with Exchange.

There is a Touchdown forum on Google Groups with tons of good information, and to their credit the guys at NitroDesk seem quite committed to supporting their users. I'd suggest some research in that forum and then post if you can't find an answer.

3. johnnybirdman

johnnybirdman Well-Known Member

I'm still using the Touchdown demo but know now that I will purchase b/c it is such a good program vs. stock.
    I can't say that I have the same delay problems that you are seeing. For me it is very snappy.
    J.

4. rvonder

rvonder Well-Known Member

I think that responsiveness depends a lot on volume. I have a lot of subfolders, about 1500 contacts, and need to sync 30 days worth of data. I also deal with a lot of incoming messages every day, although most are read and then deleted. I'd love to sync a shorter timeframe, and could if Touchdown supported server-side message searching like pocket Outlook on Windows Mobile. But I just don't think those compromises should be necessary: I handled the same volumes on a much slower WM phone with instantaneous response times, and even the native Android email app is quicker connected to the same server.

I think there's a huge opportunity for NitroDesk and Touchdown as usage of Android phones explodes, but they really need to address performance and add a few important missing features in order to cement their leading position before anyone else jumps in to compete with them.

5. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

I'd agree it seems to be related to volume. Pretty sure it has to do with how much you have downloaded / how big TD