Touching everyone (Lots of contacts)

Last Updated:

1. random255

random255 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I got my phone this morning, and it's my first "real" phone besides a BlackBerry I used to have long ago. The first thing I did was add my Gmail. Then I uploaded a picture, and for that I gave my phone my Facebook info.

I saved my old contacts in a text document, and now I want to add them into my phone. Some of them are Facebook friends, some are not. I figured I could just put them in the phone no problem.

Unfortunately, my phone thinks everyone I've ever emailed and everyone who's on my Facebook page should be a contact for my phone, regardless of how little info it has on them. I just want my contact list to be the people I add in. If those people have a FB page I don't mind the phone getting their picture off the page, but that's about it.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Advertisement
  2. leastbay

leastbay Well-Known Member

yeah, you should have downloaded google sync onto your blackberry before switching

3. random255

I didn't upgrade from a Blackberry.

4. leastbay

leastbay Well-Known Member

oh, you said since a blackberry, I assumed

5. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

I'm interested to read the answer to this question as well. I definitely don't need all 400 of my Facebook "friends" in my phone contact list!

6. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of people in the store with this happening too. Like many, I really have no problem with it syncing with Google contacts and adding my phone people, but I really don't want all the Facebook folks in there too!

7. random255

I found out how to "link" a contact you add to a Facebook account - so you can in fact add a contact yourself and have the FB pictures show up and such.

Still have the issue of having about 200 FB friends show up instead of the more desirable 50 contacts or so that I'd actually care to call on a regular basis (no need to call my old grade school buddies from 20 years ago, ya'-know-what-I'm-sayin'?)...

8. random255

Looks like one thing that helps is using the "People" link instead of the Phone link...people only brings up the contacts you add that way...

9. S1dewinder

S1dewinder Active Member

Don't have an Evo yet, but on the Hero there is an option in the People application to de-select Show Facebook contacts. People>Menu>View maybe?? I am hoping it's easier on the Evo than the 2.1 Hero, because I don't want FB contacts either, just their linked pictures.

10. vladgur

vladgur Active Member

I recommend you sort it out in google contacts instead of in the phone itself.
    I know that my hero allowed only to sync a certain "group" of contacts, not all emails ive sent/received mail to/from

11. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

Add in the people you want to start. You may have to manually add them off of that text file. Do this before installing the Facebook app. Once you've done that, install Facebook and open it up. It will ask if you want to sync your contacts, and it will give you the option to not sync at all, sync every Facebook friend, or only sync contacts that are already in your phone. Choose to only sync with contacts already in your phone, and you're set.

You can install Facebook first, but I find it takes a while for it to recognize when a new contact to your phone is also a Facebook friend, so I recommend starting with the contacts.

fiskadoro likes this.
  12. adam74

adam74 New Member

It never asked me about all contacts or just my people... what did i do wrong ?

13. Roadblock

Roadblock Well-Known Member

I dont have my phone here in front of me, but go to something like

Settings / Applications / Manage Applications and then find the Facebook one and click on it and you will see options like uninstall, clear cache and force stop.

I think it was either clear cache or force stop but whichever one I did, it says something to the affect of if you choose this option the program will stop AND it will remove all Facebook contacts, pictures from Facebook etc from your phone and contact list.

This removed the 200000000 Facebook contacts from my phone I didn't want in just about a single click.

I remember that simply logging into the FB apps didn't add the contact, something else I did added them. I forget where I was messing around when I added all the FB contacts but if you remove them and they get readded, just go back to that settings menu again and you can kill them again.

14. Griggs2121

Griggs2121 Well-Known Member

Roadblock, when you get your phone can you give more exact details on how you did it. I've removed facebook from active sync and cleared the cache and I still see all the contacts when I click "Phone" on the home screen

15. 2hammy

2hammy New Member

go to people. push menu, view. that brings up a list of accounts you can view. you can select google, all gmail contacts, phone, facebook, or any other acounts you have. if you deselect facebook, and all gmail contacts, it should remove those and leave the regular contacts. if you enter the contacts in the phone. just select phone and nothing else should come up. there is also a option to show only contacts with phone #s.

16. Griggs2121

Ok, I got it. I went into active sync, disabled auto sync, removed my facebook account, added my facebook account and quickly enabled auto sync, quickly clicked facebook and said "NOT" to sync contacts.

Now that I have that done, does anybody know how to sync selected contacts? I'd like some connected but not ALL of my facebook contacts...

17. Griggs2121

Oh and if you want facebook auto synced but you don't want birthdays in your calendar. Go to the calendar app (not the widget) menu/more/calendar then uncheck facebook

18. spiveyb1

spiveyb1 New Member

I was having this issue, as well, and followed the directions above to remove the account, add it back, and quickly disable contact sync. I would like to be able to sync my "People" contacts who are also FB contacts with FB. Has anyone figured a way to sync only certain contacts with FB? There should be some option to do this as opposed to the all or nothing approach.