Touchpad issues

Last Updated:

1. jezperrott

jezperrott Member This Topic's Starter

The only criticism I have with my hero is the touch input for texting. Issues are as follows:

• Some of the suggestions for words are ridiculous - not even English - or any other language, I'll bet!
    • If you have big fingers, it's extremely difficult to use the keyboard, in either orientation, with any speed. Calibration is very limited, especially as it doesn't calibrate for landscape orientation, where you're most likely to use two thumbs. Typing is extremely hit and miss if you have big hands.
    • If you're faster - as I am - with the phone keypad, you may decide to select that. After all, the keys are much, much bigger then... but what about when you are typing in a google search or web address? You are no longer given the choice of auto-complete, even though most addresses are composed of real words. You have to tap tap tap the letters. Very frustrating. User choice is removed.
    • Also frustrating is the google search button. Press that and yes, you get the instant google search but, no matter what input method you're using, you have to do it by the tap tap method... that is until it's done a search when, miraculously, it allows you to input using auto-complete (T9).
    • Last thing, and maybe just a niggle. When you put in a final punctuation mark( ? ! . etc), it adds a space and turns to a capital for you to get typing the next sentence. Wonderful idea and saves you two keystrokes. Except it doesn't work 8/10 times. It often just gives you the space. Or gives you TWo capital letters instead of one. But if you delete the space, and add your own, it gives you that capital letter. Oh, and sometimes, a space, too! But only once you've put your own capital in, of course, turning OFF the automatic capital letter in the process!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who is frustrated by this, and I wonder if anybody had found a solution?

I've tried 'BetterKeyboard' and, while it has nice features, it doesn't really solve the issues. The left/right swipe to a different keypad is a fantastic idea, but I want to go from qwerty to phonepad, not to qw er ty pad or whatever it is.

TouchPal is meant to be good, but it's not available for some wierd reason. No idea what the guy is doing, but it all seems needlessly cloak and dagger when I look on his website. Anyone would think this is top secret.

Every text I send and note I make (and I make a lot) is a battle for me. I long for my old Nokia at times! Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. spiderweb

spiderweb Member

Practice :) I had the same issue, but after a while, I got used to writing in landscape orientation with two thumbs, even in portrait, with my pointing finger. As I can see, you've tried all alternative keyboard options, so... choose whatever fits you most.

3. jezperrott

jezperrott Member This Topic's Starter

Hmmm. I've been practising since November. :( Don't use my pointing finger though. Will try. Hardly ideal, though, two handed.

I hope they fix these issues with 2.1. Does anyone know if these issues still exist?