• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Touchpad lags, not working in horizontal and just slow

steve392

Jan 30, 2012
I've had my spectrum since february and it was doing great, no issues. Then around may i started to notice the phone lagging, taking a while to close out programs, keystrokes in the messenger not showing up then all of a sudden everything I typed shows up at once. Now its gotten to the point where I type and nothing shows up for easily 10 or more seconds and when it does its all jumbled and not in the order i typed. If i hit the back button, nothing, no response for another 10 or more seconds. If i was in the messenger or browser and needed to call 911, im screwed cause it will take forever just to get to the phone option.

What are my options? I've removed the battery and sim card to reboot and it works for about an hour then goes back to normal.

I would try a factory reset.

If you know how to root then I would consider rooting the phone and then installing a custom rom. If you don't want ot install a custom rom then you could always flash a nadroid neph has made which will do a fresh install of the OS and may fix your issue.

First try a factory reset and if that doesnt fix your issue then you may consider getting a replacement

Upvote 0
If your phone is not rooted and running stock firmware, simpler measures like restarting the device may help, if that helps but problem recurs (which is entirely expected), you may wanna see what running programs (under settings, applications, manage applications, running applications) you can do without. This will allow the system to run with greater available resources.

Upvote 0
I would try a factory reset.

If you know how to root then I would consider rooting the phone and then installing a custom rom. If you don't want ot install a custom rom then you could always flash a nadroid neph has made which will do a fresh install of the OS and may fix your issue.

How do you do a factory reset and do you lose any saved info?

My first questions would be what CPU speed and governor are being used. It may not be related, but overclocking caused some weird screen lag issues for me, so I went back to underclocking (waste of resources, I know).

No idea what cpu speed or governor are being used. When I got the phone I didn't know it came with droid software, this is all new to me.

Upvote 0
No idea what cpu speed or governor are being used. When I got the phone I didn't know it came with droid software, this is all new to me.
No worries. If you haven't changed anything, then the CPU speed and governor are not the likely culprits. It's generally when someone overclocks or underclocks with the 'conservative' governor that there are some issues.

The horizontal/vertical issue is something we all share. I've found if it won't rotate, turning the screen off (power button), waiting a bit, then turning it back on in landscape mode fixes the problem. I don't know if it's a sensor issue or what, but it's sporadic. If that doesn't work reboot and see if the issue resolves itself.

There's a chance, if you've never been able to get into horizontal, that the sensors are damaged. In that case, take it back to VZ and get it replaced under warranty.

Upvote 0
How do you do a factory reset and do you lose any saved info?

Don't worry about mrB's post because it doesn't pertain to you. I could tell you why but it's not important for this thread's subject. Just know it's has nothing to do with your problem.

Yes you will lose all your apps and data and call logs and messages. That is why I told you to root your phone and you can backup everything. I don't think there is an app that will allow you to backup all that info without root. Since it appears you don't know how to root your device you are going to have to do a bit of reading but it's super easy to do so. Actually it's mostly automated.

as far as how to do a factory reset just go to settings/storage/factory data reset/reset phone

You don't have to erase your sd card so leave that option alone.

If you have any questions about root feel free to ask in the appropriate thread.

Upvote 0
To me it sounds like you just need to go to the nearest Verizon store and get a replacement due to faulty hardware. Don't worry about anything anyone else said, the easiest option will be to get it replaced.

Just remember not to restart the phone before you go, so you can show them how bad it is, when they ask, tell them it works for about an hour after restarting it or pulling the battery

Upvote 0
The phone will flip in the horizontal mode, but nothing appears on the screen when you type or its black then flipped back in verticle you see what you typed. I'll stop by the local vzw store tomorrow and see what they say.

As for loosing any call log or texts, dont bother me. Apps, easily downloaded again. I'll just get all my pics and stuff onto my computer so I have them anyway.

Upvote 0
The phone will flip in the horizontal mode, but nothing appears on the screen when you type or its black then flipped back in verticle you see what you typed. I'll stop by the local vzw store tomorrow and see what they say.
Oh, yea that sounds like a hardware issue.

This actually brings up a good question as to why there are the rotation issues on this phone at all. I've had 3 different Specs and all 3, at some point or another, would not rotate into horizontal without me turning off the screen and turning it back on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones