touchscreen active while on phone call... face presses numbersSupport

Last Updated:

1. hh1015

hh1015 New Member This Topic's Starter

I'll start of by confessing that I'm new and apologizing if this issue has been answered elsewhere. I've searched the forums about 80 different ways, but have not found this addressed. I've read the entire droid user manual and nosed around in all my phone settings. Nada.

SO - here's my issue: When I am speaking on the phone, my face presses buttons on the screen and I can hear the beeps, as can the person I'm talking to. The first time it happened, I assumed it was the other person's kid messing with the phone or something, but when I pulled the phone away from my face at the end of the call, I saw all the 6s and #s that my face had been dialing during the call.

How can I make it so this doesn't happen? I'm sure I must be doing something stupid, but can't figure out what.

Thanks in advance for your help - this forum has been very helpful.

Heidi

Advertisement
  2. Droidn00b

Droidn00b Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me the other day. It doesn't happen on every call. Odd.

3. hh1015

hh1015 New Member This Topic's Starter

yeah - exactly... it doesn't happen on every call for me either, but has happened 3 different times now.

I'm not sure if I'm holding my phone funny or something to make it think I'm not on a call.

4. amigos

amigos Member

Its getting to that annoying level for me now as its happening every time I call someone. Are there like areas on the screen which stay active as the whole screen stays black but for some reason the '#' key doesn't. I was wondering if anyone came out with a fix or something.

5. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

The whole screen should turn black and be inactive when it is close to your face. The sensor is near the top left corner of the phone when you are looking at the screen. Try testing it with your finger; the screen should go black if your finger gets anywhere near the area to the left of the speaker. It shouldn't even have to touch the phone. If it isn't working it might be defective and you could take it to a vzw store and have them look at it.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Also check to see that the screen is not badly smudged in the area of said sensor. If you're using a screen protector, make sure there is not a piece of dust between the protector and the sensor...

7. dowtie

dowtie Active Member

This has been a constant problem for me the past month or so and it is VERY annoying. It happens to me 2-3 times each phone call. The sensor "works"... kind of. If I stick my finger over it it turns off so it definitely functions, but when I put my face there slight movements must uncover it and it sometimes flashes on and off, causing problems.

What I cant fathom is why on earth the phone doesnt default to the lock screen when you are in a call? Seriously, this problem would be GONE if I had to do the slide motion instead of just uncovering the light sensor to access in-call settings. This is my biggest gripe with the phone and it seems ironic to me that of all the things this device does great, the least effective is the actual PHONE.