TouchscreenGeneral

Last Updated:

1. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, if entering the title to this thread didn't give me reason enough to confirm my impressions of the Droid X and Droid 2's touchscreen compared to the Incredible.
    Similar Threads:
    From Droid X forum - "Touchscreen Lag?"
    From Droid X forum - "Touchscreen unresponsive"

So I had to take my wife's EnV Touch in for a software update on Friday. I started playing with all the Android phones in the store (and yes I own an Incredible...since launch day). There were three Droid 2's and two Droid X phones on display and all 5 seemed to have crappy touchscreens compared to the Incredible. The 1 Motorola Devour actually had a better feeling touchscreen, more responsive and fluid. I felt like the Droid 2 and Droid X touchscreens were rough and had an issue picking up my touch consistently. The two Incredibles on display behaved just like mine.

The LG Ally phones on display worked ok, I hate the haptic feedback. It feels like a capacitive version of my wife's phone. Honestly, it didn't seem much better than the resistive touchsceen on her phone. If a live wallpaper was enabled, forget using the phone lol.

The Devour running 1.6...gotta say I was impressed at it's performance and responsiveness for such low-end hardware. If I had to get my wife a smartphone it'd be an Incredible, but if she HAD to have a physical keyboard I would probably suggest the Devour to her. She could care less for flash, the Android version, or getting a lot of apps.

Anyway, this was just an observation. Some people are probably fine with Motorola's touchscreen but are pissed at the Incredible's battery life. The Incredible really seems to shine with a good custom kernel and a larger battery. If Verizon does get a version of the EVO I hope they go with a minimum of 1500mAh. Then again, I'm fine with my Incredible until 4g enters my area. Given my location, it may be a couple years when they finish the 4g rollout lol.

Advertisement
    JuicyJones and NightAngel79 like this.
  2. AeolianReflex

AeolianReflex Well-Known Member

IMO the Incredible shines even with the stock kernal. I have tried several of the moto X & droid 2, and you're right, they seem very unresponsive and not very consistent from phone to phone. I think that may have a lot to do with motoblur being so crappy. Seems like a half baked interface at best but maybe that's just me and what I expect from a high end device.

3. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

You have to remember. There is no memory managment for the most part on the demo phones in the stores. So there are prolly 500000 apps running, so it felt sluggish lol

4. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Yeah DEMO phones always seem to be sluggish especially after a few weeks of being played with . I wandered into a Verizon store the other day and played with all of them and the Incredible they had on display was super sluggish compared to mine . I didn't get to play with the X because someone was demoing it but I did play with the D2 and it is exactly like the Droid but slightly more refined.

I don't care about Android vs Android much .if it's an Android Phone it's a good phone in my book.

5. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

i agree... incredible is so much smoother

6. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

A Droid X I was using had just been reset to factory settings. How do I know, I walked up to it on the recovery screen then watched it reboot. I agree too that demo phones get beat to he!!, however the Incredible's on display all still felt great to use.

As I mentioned in my first post, the Incredible isn't without fault. The battery life can be abysmal, and the best solutions involve fixes that the average joe isn't willing to do. I know that many readers on this forum are fine with purchasing a higher capacity battery, install a customer kernel, and do whatever other hacks can be done to improve the battery life. The average user who doesn't want to dive into this seedy underworld will really look down on the Incredible for it's gimp battery.

I really wish that HTC had Motorola's battery life, 3 mic setup, and a stronger build. However, I can overlook these things for positives I like about the Incredible. I think Sense is awesome, love the slim form-factor, and love the feel of the touchscreen. I was just surprised at how bad the X and 2's screens seemed to me.

It's all opinion, so take it for what it's worth. If you are someone trying to decide between these two phones, just go play with them in store. Whatever you decide on, just go with it. They are all stellar phones and are well supported.